More than 30 local middle and high school students have won a combined $10,000 in a video contest sponsored by Steeltown Entertainment Project that highlights their ideas on how they'd change the world.
Below are the winners of the "Take a Shot at Changing the World" digital media competition. To see the winning videos go to www.takeashotcontest.org.
• Acid Rain -- Nasha Wright, Cynthia Gutierrez, Tommy Sonnie, Jayvon Turner and Lamar Woodward; Gateway High School (6th-9th grade): $1,000.
• Mutual Impact: WPSD Rain Barrels -- Emily Bach, Michael Pryor and Alex Russo; Western PA School for the Deaf (10th-12th grade): $1,500.
• Lawrence's Fight for Green -- Lenique Huggins, Falk Laboratory School (6th-9th grade): $1,000.
• Pulse Motors -- Adam MacDonald and Nick Blom, CAPA (10th-12th grade): $1,500.
Total prize of $2,500 was split among four winning submissions:
• The Salk Reaction -- Jon Marek, Mt. Lebanon High School (6th-9th grade).
• End Polio Now -- Kelly Hois, Jefferson Middle School (6th-9th grade).
• Jonas Salk -- Renee Havery, Pittsburgh Obama (10th-12th grade).
• Pittsburgh Polio Innovation Project -- Jordan Kelley, Seth Dotson, Matt Pugh, Clay Smith and Kevin Austin; South Park High School (10th-12th grade).
• Act As One -- Maggie Mayer, Falk Laboratory School (6th-9th grade): $2,500 and a trip to Washington, D.C., to attend the Jefferson Awards National Ceremony in June.
• Revulse Film Company -- Peter Heres, Quaker Valley High School (6th-9th grade): $1,000.
• A Pittsburgh Rap -- Melissa Gorham, Ashton Watts and Adam Watts; Hampton High School (10th-12th grade): $1,000.moviesvideo
First Published May 25, 2012 12:00 AM