Kevin Costner as the general manager of the Cleveland Browns in this entertaining and slickly produced dramedy from director Ivan Reitman.
It tracks one pressure-packed day in the life of Sonny Weaver Jr. (Mr. Costner) as he tries to assemble his dream team and not get fired, copes with some surprising personal news and grieves for his father. Throw in his opinionated mother and an ex-wife and you’ve got a veritable 12-hour stress test.
Even casual fans will recognize some of the famous faces, including NFL Commissioner Roger S. Goodell, Jim Brown, Bernie Kosar and Ray Lewis, all as themselves. Mike Florio, who created the website ProFootballTalk, appears, too, while Sean Combs turns up as an agent.
The production gained permission to shoot during the actual 2013 draft in New York, so the set is exactly as it appeared at the time. Mr. Costner easily makes the transition from field to front office and the solid cast also includes Jennifer Garner as the team’s salary cap manager and Sonny’s secret girlfriend, and Ellen Burstyn as Sonny’s recently widowed mother.
Rated PG-13 on appeal for brief strong language and sexual references. Extras include commentary and deleted scenes. Also, on Blu-ray: a making-of featurette and a “Welcome to Primetime” behind-the-scenes look at the NFL draft.
‘They Came Together’
Larky, witty and sometimes even wise, this spoof on every rom-com ever made is less a fully realized film than an extended skit, a series of set pieces that poke gentle and sometimes transgressively crude fun at the tropes of girl-meets-boy that have enchanted and addled audiences for generations.
Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler keep “They Came Together” floating along on a cloud of barely winking humor and their characters’ shared love of “fiction books,” Q-tips and coffee. “Who are you?” they keep asking each other, amazed at the banalities they have in common.
Rated R for profanity and sexual content.
— The Washington Post
ALSO NEW ON DVD
• “Mom’s Night Out”: Dads are forced to take care of the children while the moms enjoy a night out. Patricia Heaton stars.
• “For No Good Reason”: Provides an in-depth look at Ralph Steadman, one of the trailblazers of the “Gonzo” movement.
• “The World Wars”: History channel series that looks at three decades of 20th Century world war.
• “Bonanza: The Official Seventh Season-Volumes One and Two”: Michael Landon, Dan Blocker and Lorne Greene star in this TV western.
• “Night Moves”: Three radical environmentalists try to execute an epic protest.
• “The Originals: The Complete First Season”: CW series about the battle for New Orleans between vampires and witches.
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to
email@example.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner.