The Steelers announced today that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will not return in 2012 because he is retiring.
"Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching," Coach Mike Tomlin said in a statement issued today by the Steelers.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported two days ago that Arians, 59, who was in the final year of his contract, might not return next season. But it was unclear at the time if he was going to retire or if the Steelers were not going to renew his contract.
"I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team's offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers," Tomlin said. "I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement."
Arians has been the offensive coordinator since Tomlin became head coach in 2007. He was told last week by Tomlin that he would return in 2012, and Tomlin even indicated as much in a news conference one day after the Steelers' playoff loss in Denver.
Arians had even told many people, including the Post-Gazette, that he intended to return in 2012.
However, team president Art Rooney II indicated this week that some members of the coaching staff were considering retirement.
In a radio interview this morning on WDVE, Rooney said that whatever happened with Arians is "really Mike's decision," referring to Tomlin.
"It's that time of year we do the coaches' contract for those who don't have a contract and sometimes we extend contracts," Rooney said. "Mike's involved in those conversations with all his coaches."
Gerry Dulac: firstname.lastname@example.org ; twitter: @gerrydulac First Published January 20, 2012 5:00 AM