Major Earthquake Strikes Central Philippines

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

MANILA -- The death toll rose to 93 after a powerful earthquake violently shook the central Philippines on Tuesday morning. The tremor also injured hundreds and smashed one of the country's oldest churches, officials said.

The earthquake was centered about 32 miles underground near the small town of Carmen, on the island of Bohol, and struck at 8:12 a.m., said Renato Solidum, the director of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology.

"A magnitude 7 earthquake has an energy equivalent to around 32 Hiroshima atomic bombs," Mr. Solidum said. "This one had a magnitude of 7.2."

The tremors reverberated across adjacent islands of the central Philippines, toppling structures and sending panicked people into the streets.

"I was asleep and my bed started shaking very hard," said Jessa Ariola, 23, a resident of Tagbilaran, a city near the earthquake's center. She said that after the tremors stopped she went to the restaurant where she works as a cashier and found it in ruins -- with broken glass, toppled appliances and raw meat scattered on the floor.

Local television showed obliterated buildings, cracked roads, downed bridges and chaotic evacuations on Bohol. The quake also damaged major buildings in Cebu City, a heavily populated commercial center on a nearby island. Among those hit were a sprawling shopping mall, a prominent hospital and a busy public market.

The main airport on Bohol was temporarily closed, as were several ports in the central Philippines, while officials inspected them for safety.

The damaged structures in Cebu included the Santo Niño de Cebu Basilica, which was founded in 1565. On Bohol, the roof of the Church of San Pedro in Loboc, which dates from 1602, collapsed. Officials said as many as 10 other historic churches appeared to have been damaged.

Dozens died on the island of Bohol, 15 in nearby Cebu and one on the neighboring island of Siquijor, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council. The island of Cebu, which is adjacent to Bohol, where the earthquake was centered, experienced extensive damage and injuries because it is more heavily populated, officials said.

Those who died included a 4-year-old girl who was trampled in the town of Toledo, on Cebu, when the earthquake shook a building where people were receiving cash grants from a government program to help the poor. In addition to the child who died, 19 people were injured there during a stampede out of the wobbling structure.

Officials on Tuesday afternoon were warning local residents to keep out of major buildings until their structural integrity could be verified. They also warned of landslides amid reports of aftershocks on the two most affected islands.

Electric power was disrupted in many of the affected areas. No tsunami warning was issued because the earthquake was land-based, an official of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said during a morning news briefing.

President Benigno S. Aquino III will visit the affected areas on Wednesday, a spokesman said. The islands of Cebu and Bohol have been declared in a state of calamity by the government, which authorizes additional national government assistance to the areas.

A magnitude 6.8 earthquake struck the same island on Feb. 8, 1990, and damaged more than 3,000 houses. Last year, a magnitude 6.9 quake hit near the island of Negros, also in the central Philippines, and killed nearly 100 people.

world

This article originally appeared in The New York Times. First Published October 15, 2013 2:01 PM


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here