JERUSALEM -- Israeli security forces fatally shot a 19-year-old Palestinian during clashes early Tuesday in the southern West Bank town of Dura, according to Palestinian officials, raising tensions in the volatile area.
The dead man was identified as Muataz Idris Sharawneh, a student at a Palestinian Authority security academy in Jericho.
A spokeswoman for the Israeli military said the Israeli forces were carrying out a routine overnight operation in Dura, southwest of Hebron, when clashes broke out. She said that a group of Palestinians hurled rocks at the soldiers and that, according to initial evidence, a few of them began to climb on one of the military vehicles. After the Palestinians ignored warnings to retreat and were undeterred by riot dispersal means, she said, soldiers fired at one of them. The spokeswoman was speaking on the condition of anonymity under army rules.
Dr. Walid Zuloum, the director of the Palestinian government hospital in Hebron, where Mr. Sharawneh was taken, told the official Palestinian news agency Wafa that he had been shot with a bullet that entered his back and lodged in his chest and that he was then run over.
The Palestinian Authority governor of the Hebron district, Kamel Hmeid, told Voice of Palestine radio that the Israeli military had carried out 200 raids in the area over the past six months, accusing the military of provocation.
The military refused to describe the purpose of its overnight operation in Dura, but military officials have spoken generally of a rise in tensions in the West Bank since late last year, with an increase in stone-throwing and firebombing attacks against Israeli vehicles on West Bank roads.
At least nine Palestinians have been killed by Israeli security forces in the West Bank this year, mostly in clashes with Israeli soldiers. In April, a Palestinian stabbed an Israeli settler to death in the West Bank, the first such killing in the area in more than a year.
Maj. Gen. Nitzan Alon, the commander of the Israeli forces in the West Bank, said last month that Secretary of State John Kerry's intensive efforts to restart Israeli-Palestinian peace talks had some positive influence on the ground in recent weeks. But he warned that a failure to resume the talks could lead to an escalation in violence.
Mr. Kerry left the region on Sunday after four days of intense meetings with Israeli and Palestinian leaders failed to secure an announcement that the two sides had agreed on terms to return to the negotiating table. But Mr. Kerry said that "real progress" had been made and that talks "could be within reach."
Unusually, that optimism was echoed by President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority on Tuesday. At a joint news conference in the West Bank city of Ramallah with Prime Minister Enrico Letta of Italy, Mr. Abbas told reporters that Mr. Kerry had presented "useful and constructive suggestions," although some clarifications were needed.
"We hope the time will come very soon to sit at the negotiating table to discuss all of the essential issues," Mr. Abbas added.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel has said he is ready to negotiate without preconditions.
This article originally appeared in The New York Times.