KABUL, Afghanistan -- An attacker wearing an Afghan Army uniform opened fire on American soldiers in remote eastern Afghanistan on Friday, killing one service member before escaping, in what appeared to be another in a recent string of assaults on coalition soldiers by their Afghan partners.
The shooting took place early Friday in a camp run by the Afghan National Army, where the American troops had gone to train Afghan soldiers, said Attaullah, the police chief of Ghaziabad district in Kunar Province near the Pakistan border. The attacker, who was on guard at the camp, also wounded two other American soldiers before he fled into the surrounding area -- a mountainous region that has seen heavy fighting in recent months as the coalition has sought to reopen crucial supply lines but which still remains largely under Taliban control, Attaullah and other local Afghan officials said. Attaullah said the suspected attacker, named Mamood, was originally from Helmand Province.
NATO confirmed there had been an attack in Kunar Province killing one soldier but did not disclose that soldier's nationality, or give any other details beyond saying it was investigating the case.
In a separate statement, NATO said a second coalition soldier had died Friday, this time in an insurgent attack in southern Afghanistan, but it gave no more details.
There has been a disturbing quickening in the pace of shootings of NATO soldiers by their Afghan counterparts in a year that has seen provocative acts by American soldiers including the burning of Korans at a military base in February and a deadly rampage against Afghan civilians in March ascribed to an American soldier.
In the so-called green-on-blue episodes, members of the Afghan security forces turn their weapons on their coalition partners. The killings are raising tensions and complicating NATO's efforts to train Afghan soldiers and eventually withdraw Western forces from the country.
In a briefing to reporters in Kabul on Monday, a senior NATO official said the coalition was taking the trend seriously.
According to NATO, there have been 15 attacks by assailants wearing Afghan Army uniforms on their coalition counterparts, resulting in 20 NATO deaths.
He said the coalition had found that most of the attacks were motivated by "private reasons, mainly of the attackers," and the proportion of the attacks by Taliban infiltration were in the "single-digit percentages."
The Taliban claimed one of its own fighters was responsible for the attack Friday.
Ghaziabad was one of several districts in Kunar that had become a gathering point for large numbers of fighters crossing the border from Pakistan.
In October, it was a focus for an operation to regain control of convoy supply routes cut off by the insurgents.
New checkpoints run by the Afghan Army were installed, but since then security has worsened again, said local officials.
In Kunar, as elsewhere across the country, NATO troops have been making an intense effort to weaken insurgents as much as possible before coalition troops withdraw and hand over combat outposts and forward operating bases to the Afghan Army.
President Hamid Karzai on Sunday is scheduled to announce the next group of regions of the country where NATO will hand over security control to the Afghans.
According to an Afghan and a Western official who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about the decision, the new group will probably put around three-quarters of the population under Afghan control. It is not clear yet whether all provincial capitals will be fully transferred to Afghan control, which would be an important milestone for Afghanistan.
Separately on Friday, heavy flooding in northern Afghanistan killed 20 people, according to Abdul Jabar Taqwa, governor of Takhar Province.
In Helmand Province, seven civilians were killed, including five children, when their minivan hit a roadside bomb, said a spokesman for the provincial governor, Fareed Ahmad Farhang. A local police officer was killed by a second roadside bomb when he went to the scene of the attack, the spokesman said.
Employees of The New York Times in Kunar, Helmand and Kunduz Province contributed reporting.
This article originally appeared in The New York Times.