Reports: Penn State's Bolden will transfer
Rob Bolden was once the future, the heralded quarterback who became the first and only true freshman to start at quarterback for Penn State. Now his Nittany Lion career, marked by possible transfers throughout, appears over.
Bolden has been removed from the official Penn State roster, and a report in The New Orleans Times Picayune said he visited LSU last weekend.
His departure comes with little shock. In the spring, long before the NCAA sanctions that removed any transfer restrictions, he publicly contemplated transferring. In January 2011, Bolden reportedly wanted to transfer but then-coach Joe Paterno refused to release him from his scholarship. A Penn State spokesperson said that Bolden was granted permission to speak with other schools before July 22, before the punishments were revealed.
In June, coach Bill O'Brien announced that Bolden would be the team's third-string quarterback. The decision marked a low point of a steady fall. Bolden arrived on campus as a four-star recruit in 2010. He started the season opener, and threw for 1,360 yards, five touchdowns and seven interceptions. Bolden regressed last season, throwing for 685 yards and completing less than 40 percent of his passes.
The team is already moving on without him. On his Twitter, running back Bill Belton said he was going to change his uniform number from No. 5 to No. 1. Bolden previously wore No. 1.
Walk-on Tim Buckley has transferred to North Carolina State, according to a release from North Carolina State's athletic department. Buckley redshirted as a freshman last season.
First Published July 30, 2012 6:25 pm