Charges due tomorrow in campus assault case
Share with others:
State College police have wrapped up their investigation of an on-campus assault at Penn State earlier this month, and charges are expected to be announced tomorrow, chief Thomas King said yesterday.
State College police have spent the past few weeks interviewing people about the April 1 incident that took place on East College Avenue. Penn State football players were among those interviewed.
According to the police, victims of the assault reported that approximately 10 persons forced their way into an apartment and assaulted two people inside. Criminal trespass, burglary and simple assault are among the possible charges being sought.
When asked about the police investigation Saturday, Penn State coach Joe Paterno said: "You know more about it than I do. It hasn't been a distraction yet. I don't know what is going to happen because I don't know anything that is going on. I am trying to concentrate on the football squad. I never try to worry about things until I have to worry about them. I am not sure I have anything to worry about here. I am not sure. I don't know one way or the other."
In other Penn State football news, reserve receiver James McDonald has been suspended from the team, McDonald confirmed yesterday. McDonald said the suspension will last until July at which time he can ask Paterno for reinstatement. He declined to say why he was suspended.
McDonald, who played in seven games last season and had one reception, refuted an Internet report that he was dismissed from the team altogether.
"I won't elaborate, but I will have a chance to come back in July," he said.
First Published April 25, 2007 11:37 pm