Facts and figures about the MLB draft
Share with others:
What: Major League Baseball's 44th first-year player draft.
When: The event begins at 2 p.m. today with a roll call, and the Tampa Bay Rays pick first at approximately 2:15. With five minutes allotted between first-round picks, the Pirates' selection at No. 2 should come at 2:20. The first day of the draft runs until 9 p.m., and nine rounds should be complete. The second and final day tomorrow begins at 11:30 a.m.
Where: The main event is at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., where many of the top prospects and some team officials will gather. The Pirates will be represented by special advisor Chuck Tanner and broadcaster Steve Blass. Each club's draft room in its home city will serve as its headquarters.
TV: ESPN2, 2-6 p.m. today.
Radio: XM, channel 175.
Web: MLB.com has a live tracker of draft picks.
The Pirates pick: 2nd overall, 48th, 79th, 114th, then add 30 for each pick the rest of the way. The gaps in rounds 2-4 are created by supplemental picks for other teams. The Pirates have none.
1. Tampa Bay11. Texas21. Detroit
2. PIRATES12. Oakland22. New York Mets
3. Kansas City13. St. Louis23. San Diego
4. Baltimore14. Minnesota24. Philadelphia
5. San Francisco15. Los Angeles Dodgers25. Colorado
6. Florida16. Milwaukee26. Arizona
7. Cincinnati17. Toronto27. Minnesota-**
8. Chicago White Sox18. New York Mets-*28. New York Yankees
9. Washington19. Chicago Cubs29. Cleveland
10. Houston20. Seattle30. Boston
**-Compensation for Los Angeles Angels signing Torii Hunter
First Published June 5, 2008 12:00 am