Highlights: Seneca Valley rolls, 38-33
Share with others:
C.J. Brown is wasting little time showing why he might be the best quarterback in the WPIAL.
Brown, a Maryland recruit, continued an impressive start to his senior season last night, leading Seneca Valley (1-1) to a 38-33 non-conference win against visiting Erie McDowell (1-1).
Brown followed up a 301-yard passing effort last week, torching the Trojans for 304 yards and a touchdown by completing 25 of 37 passes.
He also ran for 85 yards and three scores.
Teammate Matt Plautz caught 10 passes for 173 yards.
Tyler Mack added 167 yards and one touchdown on the ground for the Raiders, who scored 21 points in the second quarter to jump to a 28-12 halftime lead.
Alex Schmude ran for 115 yards and two touchdowns for Erie McDowell, and Dejon Young added two running scores.
City League football
• Sophomore quarterback Greg McGhee ran for 138 yards and three touchdowns to lead Perry (1-1) to a 30-16 win against Schenley (1-1) in a City League game at Cupples Stadium.
McGhee scored twice in the second half to help the Commodores break a 16-16 halftime tie.
Class AAA boys' soccer
• Nate Sharbaugh's goal with 22 minutes left helped No. 2 Mt. Lebanon (4-0, 2-0) survive a scare against Baldwin (0-3-1, 0-1-1), 1-0, in Section 4.
• Also in Section 4, Tony Spicuzza's scored four goals to lead West Mifflin (2-3, 1-1) to a 6-1 win against Albert Gallatin (1-3, 0-2).
Class AA boys' soccer
• No. 5 Thomas Jefferson (5-0, 2-0) got two goals apiece from Tyler Fabian and Alex Danzey in an 8-0 triumph against Yough (2-2-1, 1-1) in Section 3.
• Junior forward Ryan Conley scored twice to lead No. 8 Beaver (3-0, 2-0) to a 3-0 shutout of Riverside (1-2, 0-2) in Section 4.
• No. 2 Center (2-0-1, 1-0-1) and Hopewell (2-0-1, 1-0-1) tied, 1-1, in Section 4. Zack Taylor scored for Center, while Kurt Sculac netted one for Hopewell.
Class A boys' soccer
• Dave DelGreco notched his third consecutive three-goal game to push No. 2 Seton-LaSalle (3-0, 2-0) past Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (1-2, 0-2), 7-1, in Section 3.
• Behind six goals from Tim Wood, No. 3 Greensburg Central Catholic (3-0, 2-0) jumped to an 8-0 Section 1 rout of South Allegheny (1-1, 1-1).
Division 1 boys' golf
• Mike Volpatti fired a 4-under-par 31 at Rolling Green Golf Course to lead Bethel Park to a 177-194 win against Trinity in Section 6.
• In a battle of unbeatens, Baldwin upended Section 6 foe Elizabeth Forward, 209-218, at South Hills Country Club. Brett Cox led the Highlanders with a 1-over-par 37.
Division 2 boys' golf
• Matt Chreehan shot a 2-under-par 34 at Frosty Valley Golf Links to help unbeaten Seton-LaSalle hand Bishop Canevin its first loss, 198-201, in Section 7.
First Published September 5, 2008 12:00 am