High school highlights: Winchester Thurston pulls off Class A boys soccer upset
Share with others:
Winchester Thurston won a WPIAL boys soccer playoff game for the first time Monday.
The Bears did it in stunning fashion, too.
Nikhil Mohan scored with 26 seconds left in overtime to help Winchester Thurston shock two-time defending champion Seton-LaSalle, 1-0, in a Class A first-round game at Upper St. Clair.
Sixth-seed Seton-LaSalle (13-4) had played in the championship game six of the previous seven seasons, winning four titles.
Goalkeeper Mathieu Lebiere picked up the shutout for Winchester Thurston (12-6), which has won six games in a row.
"We have a cohesive unit and it was our kind of game," said Winchester Thurston coach Adam Brownold. "Seton-LaSalle could have been looking ahead. Seton-LaSalle is a good team. We matched them with our speed and our intensity."
• Carlynton 2, Vincentian 1: Goalkeeper Phil Meighan scored the winning goal in the shootout and also made the clinching save to give the Cougars (13-3-2) the win against the Royals (10-4) at West Allegheny.
• Riverside 3, Bentworth 2: The Panthers (13-4-1) got goals from Anthony Meneice and Caleb LaDuke in the first six minutes of the second half to edge the Bearcats (13-5) at Ringgold.
• Kiski Area 1, North Allegheny 0: In a shootout at Pine-Richland, all four Kiski Area shooters scored and goalkeeper Brandon Smail made two saves to lift the Cavaliers (15-2-2) past the Tigers (10-4-3).
• Seneca Valley 2, Mt. Lebanon 1: Brandon White scored on a penalty kick just minutes into overtime allowing the host Raiders (14-4-1) to come back from a goal down to edge the Blue Devils (11-7-1).
• Fox Chapel 2, Bethel Park 0: Cole Ryan scored 10 minutes into the game and with 15 minutes left to vault the Foxes (13-3-1) to the victory against the host Black Hawks (14-5). The Foxes have won seven of their past eight games.
• Canon-McMillan 1, Central Catholic 0: Josh Kruczek's goal with 21 minutes left helped the Big Macs (15-4) upset the fourth-seeded Vikings (14-4) at Peters Township.
• Belle Vernon 2, Blackhawk 0: Dave Wurmlinger scored his 19th goal and goalkeeper Alex Robinson earned the shutout in helping the Leopards (13-3) defeat the Cougars (14-3-1) at Hopewell.
• Mars 3, Laurel Highlands 2: Matt White's goal halfway through the second half gave No. 2 Mars (16-2-1) a 3-0 lead and the Planets held off visiting Laurel Highlands' furious comeback to eliminate the Mustangs (11-7-2).
• Yough's Alex Patricio fired a 1-over 72 to grab a share of the lead after one round of the two-day PIAA Class AA championships at Heritage Hills Golf Resort in York. In Class AAA, Indiana's Matt Holuta also shot a 72 and is one stroke behind the leaders.
• Canon-McMillan's Lauren Walter shot a 3-over 75 and is three shots off the lead in the Class AAA girls portion of the event at Heritage Hills. In Class AA, Central Valley's Mackey Fouse shot an 8-over 80 and is two strokes out of first.
• Former Gateway basketball player Barnett Harris made a verbal commitment to the University of Delaware (Division I). Harris helped Gateway win the past two WPIAL Class AAAA championships and now attends Fishburne Military School in Waynesboro, Va. He will sign with Delaware during the NCAA's week-long early signing period in November.
First Published October 23, 2012 12:00 am