High School Highlights: Wilkinsburg edges Avonworth, 15-14
Knoch High School's Alex Slomer battles Beaver Area's Dillon McLaughlin for the ball in the preliminary round of the WPIAL Class AA boys soccer tournament at Seneca Valley High School.
Share with others:
Wilkinsburg running back Malik Trent scored on a 2-point conversion in the fourth quarter to edge Avonworth (4-4, 4-3) Saturday for a 15-14 victory in the Class A Eastern Conference. Wilkinsburg (2-6, 2-6) overcame a 14-point halftime deficit with 15 unanswered points in the second half, which started with a 47-yard fumble return for a touchdown by Marelle Turner.
Turner followed with a 15-yard touchdown reception from Ryan Cox to put the Tigers in position to win on the conversion.
• Shady Side Academy 15, Summit Academy 0: Junior running back and safety Dennis Briggs intercepted two passes, blocked a punt and ran for one touchdown as Shady Side Academy (5-3, 5-2) shut out Summit Academy (2-6. 1-6) in the Class AA Allegheny Conference. Briggs finished with 66 rushing yards. Jarred Brevard rushed 12 times for 84 yards and a touchdown and the Indians defense recorded a safety.
• Quaker Valley 42, Burgettstown 8: Dan Jackson caught a touchdown pass and ran for two more as Quaker Valley (3-5, 3-5) cruised past Burgettstown (0-8, 0-7) in the Class AA Century Conference. Jackson ran for 143 yards while Quaker Valley quarterback Burke Moser threw for 125 yards and two scores.
• West Greene 70, Geibel 14: West Greene's Dalton Wildman ran for two touchdowns, returned a kick for a touchdown and threw for one more for West Greene (3-4, 2-4) in a Class A Tri-County South Conference victory. He finished with 80 rushing yards and 49 passing yards. The Pioneers dominated Geibel (0-7, 0-6) on both sides of the ball. West Greene scored three defensive touchdowns (one fumble recovery, two interceptions) and gained 269 yards of offense.
• Freshman Mikayla Mance scored the winner with three minutes left in the first overtime to give Yough a 2-1 victory against Elizabeth Forward. Mance leads the WPIAL with 45 goals this season. After a scoreless first half, Hannah Ponitz scored with 30 minutes left to give Yough the lead, which held until Elizabeth Forward's Ali Pastore tied the score off of a corner kick with 21/2 minutes remaining. The win for Yough avenged a 3-1 loss to Elizabeth Forward in the regular season. ... Goalkeeper Trisha Winters earned her ninth shutout of the year and got two second-half goals from Amanda Spencer as Hampton defeated Fox Chapel, 2-0. ... Mohawk won its first playoff game in school history after overcoming a one-goal deficit in the second half to defeat Bishop Canevin, 2-1. ... Kylie Kikta's goal 30 minutes into the first half was all Belle Vernon needed, as the Leopards shut out Southmoreland, 1-0, to advance to the next round. Goalie Ashly Gagliardi recorded 5 saves for Belle Vernon. ... Bethel Park's Sarah Buczkowski scored the winning goal in the sixth round of the shootout as the Black Hawks defeated Franklin Regional, 2-1, on penalty kicks. ... Senior Marissa Sarsfield notched the winning goal for Springdale in a 1-0 victory against Charleroi. ... Canon McMillan got two goals from Veronica Rothka and another from Abby Severyn as the Big Macs advanced with a 3-1 victory against Penn Trafford. ... Seton-LaSalle advanced with a 1-0 win against Neshannock. Senior Maddie Hanley scored early in the first half off of a corner kick. ... Goalkeeper Tara Slenska earned a shutout in Avonworth's 1-0 victory against Quigley. Kami Demirag scored in the first half.
• Drew DeBerry of Laurel Highlands scored the game's only goal 20 minutes into the first half and goalkeeper Jakes Mansberry earned the shutout as the Mustangs slipped past West Mifflin, 1-0, in the preliminary round. The Mustangs advance to play Mars in the first round of the WPIAL AA playoffs. ... Knoch goalkeeper Andy Fritz recorded five saves to earn the shutout and Brandon Vargo scored with 15 minutes remaining to give the Knights a 1-0 victory against Beaver. Knoch will face South Park in the first round.
First Published October 21, 2012 12:00 am