Hampton girls turn back North Allegheny
Peters Township's Veronica Latsko, front, lines up a shot against Chartiers Valley's Emily Tolmer Wednesday in a 7-1 win.
Share with others:
Hampton is used to fielding excellent girls soccer teams, but it has been four years since the Talbots won a section title.
They took a big step forward in hopes of ending that drought Wednesday by earning a 2-1 home win against Class AAA No. 5 North Allegheny in a Section 2 game.
Vanessa Ceavolo scored the winning goal with seven minutes left.
The victory allowed Hampton (4-1-1, 4-0-1) to remain the lone undefeated team in Section 2.
Seneca Valley (7-1, 4-1), which defeated Pine-Richland, 1-0, Wednesday, is second, while North Allegheny (5-2, 3-2) dropped to third.
• Diana Wagner scored with five minutes left in the second overtime to give Class AAA No. 3 Norwin (6-0-1, 4-0) a 2-1 victory against visiting Latrobe (4-5, 1-3) in Section 1.
• Chelsea Leipold scored two goals and Antonia Grese added a goal and four assists to help Class AA No. 1 Moon (6-0, 5-0) roll to a 7-1 Section 5 victory against visiting No. 4 Quaker Valley (6-1-1, 4-1).
• Paige Weaver's two goals turned out to be the difference as visiting Southmoreland (5-2, 4-1) grabbed a 3-1 victory against Greensburg Salem (4-3, 3-1) in Class AA Section 1.
• Melina George scored 15 minutes into the game and goalkeeper Maggie DeWitt notched her fifth shutout for Class A No. 3 Sewickley Academy (5-0-1, 5-0) in a 1-0 Section 1 win at Quigley Catholic (3-4-1, 2-2-1).
• Zoe Schoen's header off a corner kick just minutes into overtime was all the offense Class A No. 2 Shady Side Academy (5-2-1, 4-1) needed to earn a 1-0 at No. 4 Springdale (2-5, 2-2) in Section 4.
• Upper St. Clair's Thomas Steve fired a 2-under-par 70 at Rolling Hills Country Club to post the low score at the Class AAA Section 7 WPIAL qualifier. Qualifers in sections throughout the WPIAL were staged, and those golfers who finished among the top five or hit the designated target score at each of the sites qualified for the WPIAL semifinals.
• Blackhawk's Jesse Phlegar shot a 2-under-par 34 at Blackhawk Golf Course to help the Cougars clinch a playoff spot for the sixth consecutive season by defeating Hopewell, 192-209, in Class AAA Section 5.
First Published September 20, 2012 12:00 am