Greensburg Central Catholic blanks York Catholic in PIAA quarterfinals
Peters Township's Abigail LaVigna heads ball against Seneca Valley in a PIAA quarterfinals match at Chartiers Valley High School.
Share with others:
Greensburg Central Catholic junior Frannie Crouse scored four goals for the Centurians (21-1-0), who defeated York Catholic (15-8-0), 6-0, in the PIAA Class A girls quarterfinals Saturday. Greensburg Central Catholic has now won 21 consecutive games, and coach Ashley Shasko said the team has raised its level of play in the postseason.
"We want to win the state title, and they are putting everything on the line," she said. "They're having a lot of fun right now."
Malea Fabean and Italia Biondi scored the other two goals for Greensburg Central, and goalkeeper Olivia Binda recorded her 12th shutout of the season. Greensburg will face Shady Side Academy in the semifinals Tuesday. Greensburg has outscored Shady Side, 12-2, in three games this season and eliminated the Indians in the WPIAL semifinals.
• Shady Side Academy 3, Sewickley Academy 1: Shady Side Academy (17-5-1) rallied for three unanswered goals in the second half to knock off WPIAL rival Sewickley Academy (21-2-1) and advance to a semifinal showdown with Greensburg Central Catholic. Maggie Scott scored her 37th goal of the season.
• Moon 2, Camp Hill Trinity 0: Moon (22-2-0) got first-half goals from Antonia Grese and Kallie Conte, and goalkeeper Nicole Falcione recorded her 16th shutout of the year as the Tigers advanced to the PIAA Class AA semifinals, where they will face Mercyhurst Prep.
• Mercyhurst Prep 1, Mars 0: Mercyhurst Prep's Sarah Kaiser scored the winning goal in the second half to eliminate WPIAL and defending PIAA champion Mars (20-2-1). District 10 champion Mercyhurst Prep (18-4-0) snapped Mars' 15-game winning streak and is the only team to shut out the Planets this season.
• Peters Township 1, Seneca Valley 0: Veronica Latsko scored her 35th goal of the year midway through the first half on an indirect free kick to advance the Indians (22-1-0) past Seneca Valley (20-3-0) in a rematch of this year's WPIAL Class AAA championship game. Goalkeeper Carly Johns earned her 13th shutout of the season.
• Upper St. Clair 3, Canon McMillan 1: Upper St. Clair's Kevin Muck, Troye Kiernan and Ethan Dysert each scored for the Panthers (20-2-1), who avenged a 1-0 loss in the WPIAL championship to Canon McMillan (19-5-0).
• Lancaster Mennonite 1, Quaker Valley 0: WPIAL champion Quaker Valley (19-4-1) lost a shootout, 3-2, to Lancaster Mennonite (19-8). In its past six playoff games, Quaker Valley has had only one game decided in regulation. Three were decided in double overtime, one came in overtime and one in a shootout.
• Sewickley Academy 2, Riverside 0: Jake Mulholland and J.P. Bowell each scored for the Panthers (20-1-1) in a shutout against Riverside (17-5-1). Bowell's goal was his 25th of the season.
• Biglerville 4, Greensburg Central Catholic 1: Three second-half goals propelled Biglerville (17-7-1) past Greensburg Central Catholic (16-6-1). Frank Fratto scored for the Centurians.
First Published November 11, 2012 12:00 am