Kiski Area gets to WPIAL Class AAA semifinals
Share with others:
Kiski Area earned a third trip in four years to the WPIAL Class AAA semifinals with two victories Wednesday night at Connellsville High School.
The Cavaliers (16-1), seeded No. 5 in the 20-team bracket, opened with a 51-22 victory against McGuffey (9-6), a win which included six pins. No. 4 Connellsville (19-3) posted a 45-16 victory in a first-round match against Hempfield (9-4).
The two winners faced after the first round, and Kiski Area pulled a minor upset with its 46-21 thumping of Connellsville. Mitch Nagy (113), Vaughn Curcio (126), Jake Ardelitz (132), Matt McCutcheon (195) and Shane Kuhn (285) had pins for Kiski Area in the quarterfinals.
Other Class AAA matches
• Top-seeded and three-time defending WPIAL champion Canon-McMillan (13-0) earned its sixth consecutive semifinal berth with two victories at home. The Big Macs built a 29-0 lead en route to a 56-9 win against Ringgold in the first round, then easily defeated No. 8 Hampton, 48-26 ,in the quarterfinals.
• No. 2 Franklin Regional (18-1) advanced to the semifinals for the second time in three years with two convincing home victories. The Panthers posted a 47-24 win against North Hills (9-7) in the first round, then pounded Belle Vernon (10-4), 60-16, in the quarterfinals. Dom Giannangeli (132), Tyler Smith (138), Josh Maruca (145), Josh Shields (152) and Brett Zanotto (220) had pins for Franklin Regional in the quarterfinal match.
• No. 3 North Allegheny (15-2) earned a return trip to the semifinals with a two wins at home. The Tigers pounded Mt. Lebanon (8-10), 54-16, in the first round, then defeated No. 6 Greensburg Salem (14-4), 44-17, in the quarterfinals. Connor D'Amato (113), Zach Smith (195) and Dan Watson (285) had pins for North Allegheny in the quarterfinals.
• Top-seeded and six-time defending WPIAL champion Burrell (14-5) advanced to the semifinals for the 13th consecutive year. The Buccaneers received a bye in the first round, then defeated No. 8 Mount Pleasant (10-4), 52-18, in the quarterfinals. Jason Roberts (106), Steven Edwards (138), Dakota DesLauriers (182) and Shane Kuhn (285) had pins for Burrell.
• No. 2 South Fayette (9-0) earned its first semifinal berth with two dominant victories at home. The Lions pounded South Allegheny (8-5), 66-12, in the first round, then recorded a 54-15 victory in the quarterfinals against No. 7 Burgettstown (11-5). Kevin Chaussard (120), Grant Fetchet (152), Jack Previte (170), Mike Fetchet (182), Brad Haney (195) and Zach Walker (220) had pins for South Fayette in the quarterfinals.
• No. 3 Jefferson-Morgan (11-4) earned a return trip to the semifinals with two home victories. The Rockets posted a 47-29 victory against Avella (6-6) in the first round, then registered a 50-22 quarterfinal win against No. 6 Kittanning (12-5).
• No. 4 Chartiers-Houston (10-6) earned a fourth consecutive trip to the semifinals with two wins at home. The Buccaneers won, 44-27, in the first round against Yough, then defeated No. 5 Bentworth (9-5), 37-31, in the quarterfinals.
First Published January 31, 2013 12:00 am