High School Hockey: North Allegheny prevails in OT
Bethel Park celebrates its second goal of the first period in what turned into an onslaught as the Black Hawks routed Upper St. Clair, 5-1.
Share with others:
North Allegheny seemed to be headed for another Penguins Cup quarterfinal loss.
The Tigers were in overtime in their PIHL Class AAA quarterfinal game Wednesday night against No. 6 Canon-McMillan and Big Macs all-star forward James Oddi was awarded a penalty shot against North Allegheny goaltender Bradford Thornburgh.
But Thornburgh stonewalled Oddi with a right leg pad save, and, 16 seconds later, Cody Black sent the Tigers to the semifinals.
Black took a drop-pass from Marty Hubert and beat goaltender Ryan Christian five minutes into the extra session to give North Allegheny (16-4-2) a 2-1 victory at Bladerunners in Warrendale.
The Tigers had lost in the quarterfinals in each of the past four seasons.
But Shawn Baird got North Allegheny off to a good start with a first-period goal.
Austin Tonkovich put in a rebound to tie the score at 1-1 in the second period.
Tonkovich had an excellent chance to win the game for the Big Macs (12-7-4) in overtime, but his backhand chance hit the post.
Thornburgh, the Class AAA leader in goals-against average this season, finished with 37 saves.
More Class AAA
• Bethel Park 5, Upper St. Clair 1: Austin Jameyson had two power-play goals in the first 8:36 and Austin McGinty stopped 11 of 12 shots to lift the No. 2 Black Hawks (17-5) to a victory against the No. 7 Panthers (13-8-2) at Bladerunners in Bethel Park. Austin Cassidy scored Upper St. Clair's goal.
Class AA quarterfinals
• Bishop Canevin 5, Plum 2: Austin Large scored two goals and added three assists to help the No. 1 Crusaders (17-1-2) beat the No. 8 Mustangs (9-11-1) at Mount Lebanon Ice Arena. Brennen Adams added four assists for Bishop Canevin, which beat Plum, 7-0, Nov. 1.
• Pine-Richland 6, Erie Cathedral Prep 2: The No. 4 Rams (15-4-1) had six players score a goal in their victory against the No. 5 Ramblers (13-7) at the Ice Connection of Pittsburgh. Pine-Richland outshot Erie Cathedral Prep, 46-17.
Class A quarterfinals
• Westmont Hilltop 4, Thomas Jefferson 3: Ian Campbell scored 4:51 into overtime to lift the No. 4 Hilltoppers (15-7-1) to a victory against No. 5 Jaguars (14-9) at Cambria County War Memorial in Johnstown. Nicholas Tamburi had a goal and an assist for Thomas Jefferson.
• Mars 8, Serra Catholic 2: Nicholas Berteotti had a hat trick and Nicholas Makozy added two goals to lead the No. 2 Planets (18-3-1) against the No. 7 Eagles (12-12) at Bladerunners in Warrendale. Christian Knapp stopped 27 shots to earn the victory.
First Published March 7, 2013 12:06 am