Former starters key Franklin Regional title
Kittanning's Evan Bowser is taken down and pinned by Burrell Damon Greenwald in the 126 lb class at the finals of the WPIAL Class AA Section 3 Wrestling tournament at South Allegheny High School.
Share with others:
Seniors Luke Fleck and Connor Medlang returned to Franklin Regional's starting lineup Wednesday night at Kiski Area and led the Panthers to their first section title. Both posted victories to lead No. 4 Franklin Regional (11-1) to a 38-17 upset of No. 2 Kiski Area (14-1) in the Class AAA Section 1 title match.
Medlang made it down to the 120-pound weight class for the first time and recorded a pin to help the Panthers build a 23-0 lead. Kiski Area rallied to cut the deficit to 32-27. At that point, Fleck made his season debut at heavyweight and posted a 2-1 win in double overtime. Fleck had been recovering from knee surgery.
"It was great to have Luke and Connor back," Franklin Regional coach Eric Mausser said. "And it's great to finally bring home a section title to Franklin Regional."
Franklin Regional earned its title berth with a 39-33 win against Latrobe. Kiski Area advanced to the final with a 38-23 win against Greensburg Salem. All four teams advance to WPIAL Class AAA team tournament next week.
More Class AAA
• Top-ranked Canon-McMillan (11-0) claimed a 12th consecutive section title with a 61-9 win against McGuffey (9-5) in Section 4. The Big Macs advanced to the title match with a 56-18 win against West Allegheny.
• No. 3 Connellsville (18-2) captured its third Section 2 title in four years with a 48-17 victory against Peters Township (8-1).
• No. 5 North Allegheny (13-2) avenged a loss a year ago to Hampton (11-3) in the Section 3 title match with a 54-12 victory in the rematch.
• Top-ranked Burrell (9-4) won its ninth consecutive section title with a 49-18 win against No. 4 Kittanning (6-4) in Section 3. The Buccaneers advanced to the title match with a 56-22 win against Avonworth.
• No. 2 South Fayette (7-0) won its first section title with a 31-28 win against No. 5 Chartiers-Houston (5-4) in Section 1.
• No. 6 Jefferson-Morgan (9-4) claimed its third consecutive Section 2 title with a 43-22 win against No. 9 Bentworth (5-2).
First Published January 24, 2013 12:13 am