High School Football Roundup: Shaler slips past Seneca Valley
Share with others:
Shaler rebounded from its first loss of the season by holding off visiting Seneca Valley, 35-32, in a WPIAL Class AAAA Northern Six Conference game.
Tyler Bills threw for 200 yards and Jesse DellaValle added 100 on the ground for the Titans (6-1, 2-1), who benefitted from three successful fake punts and an 84-yard kickoff return for a score by Dan Swiderski.
C.J. Brown completed 20 of 33 passes for 254 yards and three touchdowns for Seneca Valley (3-4, 0-3). The Raiders have given up 143 points over the past three games.
Trailing, 35-19, Seneca Valley fought back with two fourth-quarter touchdowns, including Tyler Mack's 5-yard run with 4:19 left, but the Raiders did not get the ball back as Shaler ran out the clock.
• Summit Academy 28, Deer Lakes 14: The Knights (2-5, 2-5) forced six turnovers in a Class AA Allegheny Conference win against the Lancers (2-5, 2-5). Bijon Marshall, brother of Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall, intercepted two passes and added a 19-yard touchdown catch.
• North Catholic 20, Riverview 0: Martin Long passed for 109 yards and a touchdown to lead the fifth-ranked Trojans (6-1, 4-1) past the Raiders (3-4, 3-2) in the Class A Eastern Conference.
• South Side Beaver 41, Shenango 0: Colin Checkan ran for 175 of the Rams' 389 rushing yards, pushing South Side Beaver (5-2, 3-2) to a Class A Big Seven Conference rout of the Wildcats (2-5, 0-5).
• Brashear 54, Peabody 22: The top-ranked Bulls (7-0, 7-0) got 264 yards passing and four touchdowns from Henri Chatman in a City League win against the Highlanders (1-5, 1-5).
• Wheeling Central Catholic 42, Schenley 26: Jerome Matthews scored on a 97-yard kickoff return and an 8-yard run for the Spartans (4-3), but it wasn't enough in a non-conference loss to the Maroon Knights.
First Published October 12, 2008 12:00 am