High school football: Clairton hammers Bishop Canevin
Shaler's Brad Good finds an opening against Pine-Richland Saturday. Pine-Richland rolled to a 49-6 victory in the Class AAAA Northern Eight matchup.
Share with others:
Star running back Tyler Boyd carried the offensive load, scoring four times for Clairton (7-0, 7-0), which won its 54th consecutive game by defeating Bishop Canevin, 53-15, in a Class A Black Hills Conference game at Dormont Stadium.
Boyd scored his team's first three touchdowns, including a 48-yard run in the second quarter. He finished with 152 yards on 11 carries.
Tyler Reddy's 13 carries for 101 yards and a score paced the Crusaders (5-2).
• Jeannette 31, Shady Side Academy 26: Senior running back Jordan Edmunds led the way with 169 yards and four touchdowns for Jeannette (6-1), which downed host Shady Side Academy (4-3). The win kept the Jayhawks' chances alive to gain the top spot in the Class AA Interstate conference. Shady Side senior quarterback Matt Granato's rushed for 84 yards and a score.
• Riverview 27, Leechburg 19: Riverview (2-5, 2-4) scored 14 unanswered fourth-quarter points to pull past Leechburg (1-6, 1-5) in a Class AA Eastern Conference match. Senior Vinny Piccolino led the Raiders with 152 yards on 20 carries and three touchdowns. Joe Strellec paced the Blue Devils with 104 yards and a score.
• North Catholic 20, Wilkinsburg 0: Wilkinsburg (1-6) was held to 96 total yards on offense as it fell to Class A Eastern Conference foe North Catholic (6-1). P.J. Fulmore and Jarred Fragapane accounted for all of the game's scoring on runs of 1 and 7 yards.
• Pine-Richland 49, Shaler 6: Sophomore running back Connor Slomka had two rushing scores in the first half to help Pine-Richland (3-4, 2-4) to a Class AAAA Northern Eight conference win against Shaler (0-7, 0-6). He finished with 163 yards on 19 carries. Zack Carney's 90-yard kickoff return was the only score for the Titans.
• South Side Beaver 40, West Shamokin 18: Quarterback Jonathan Magusiak led the way with 178 yards on 12 of 15 passing and three scores for South Side Beaver (2-5) in a non-conference game. West Shamokin (1-6) quarterback Alex Laslo had touchdown passes of 24 and 30 yards to Brady Cornman and Jordan Johns.
• Union 33, Shenango 7: Running back Drew Robinson carried the ball 13 times for 219 yards and two touchdowns on his way to leading Union (4-2, 3-2) past Shenango (3-3, 2-3) in a Class A Big Seven Conference game.
First Published October 14, 2012 12:02 am