Blue Chip Chat with Cullen Christian, Penn Hills
Share with others:
Catching up with the top area high school football players entering 2009:
, Penn Hills
Height: 6-1 Weight: 180
Position: Receiver-defensive back
• THE SKINNY: Ranked by scouting services as one of the top cornerbacks in the country. Scout.com ranks him No. 3 and Rivals.com No. 6. Although his future is at cornerback, he will move to free safety this season for Penn Hills. He also will play receiver. Christian runs the 40-yard dash in 4.5 seconds.
• COLLEGE TALK: Christian has numerous scholarship offers and has narrowed his list to Michigan, Pitt, West Virginia, Maryland and UCLA. He will make official visits to UCLA, West Virginia and Maryland in September. Michigan has been No. 1 on his list for a while.
• WHY ARE YOU PLAYING SAFETY THIS YEAR? Just the fact that at cornerback, the other team can take you out of the game and not throw your way. Teams didn't throw the ball to my side much last year. At safety, I can make plays.
• DO YOU LIKE SAFETY? It's OK. I don't like it better than corner. I love corner. You can show your athletic ability more at corner.
• WHAT IS THE WORST PART OF PRESEASON PRACTICES? Just having to be there all day. You can't talk to your girlfriend or anything like that.
• IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYBODY EXPECTS YOU TO CHOOSE MICHIGAN. ARE YOU CLOSE TO PULLING THE TRIGGER AND COMMITTING? Yeah, Michigan is No. 1, but I probably won't make my decision until sometime during the season. I don't know how close I am to pulling the trigger.
• SOMETHING THAT BOTHERS YOU ABOUT RECRUITING? Just the college coaches that say the same thing over and over. Or coaches who lie to you. Some of the things they say over and over are "You're No. 1 on our board. If you come here you can start as a true freshman. The academics are great here. We'll get you to the NFL."
• DO YOU USE TWITTER? I made a Twitter account, but I don't even remember my name. It's so confusing. I don't know how to use it. I'm a Facebook and MySpace kind of guy.
• PEOPLE MIGHT BE SURPRISED TO KNOW THAT ... I'm just a cool, humble guy. People hear about me and assume I'll be this big-headed, conceited, over-confident guy. But I'm a humble, down-to-earth dude.
-- By Mike White
First Published August 21, 2009 12:00 am