Top AA high school team tumbles
Blackhawk's Tyler Nicholson, left, and Logan Frye cut off Beaver's Aaron Barlow, right, in a WPIAL Class AAA Section 2 game Tuesday night. Blackhawk won, 44-42.
Share with others:
Zach Herman helped give Greensburg Central Catholic a leg up on the Class AA Section 2 race.
The 6-foot guard scored 26 points to lead the No. 3 Centurions (14-1, 6-0) to a road win against No. 1 Jeannette (12-2, 5-1), 65-61.
The game was close throughout, with Greensburg Central leading, 30-28, at halftime.
But led by 10 third-quarter points from Julian Batts, Jeannette tied it, 48-48, heading into the fourth quarter. Batts had 25 points in the game, while Duke Brown added 20. Brian Graytok scored 15 for the Centurions.
Other top boys games
• Cole Chiappialle scored 12 points to help visiting Blackhawk (6-7, 4-2) hand Class AAA No. 1 Beaver (12-1, 5-1) its first loss of the season, 44-42, in a Section 2 contest. Aaron Barlow led the Bobcats with 19 points.
• In a rematch of the 2012 WPIAL Class AAA title game, No. 1 New Castle (14-0, 7-0) again took down visiting No. 4 Hampton (11-3, 4-3), 75-54, in the teams' first meeting as Class AAAA Section 3 members. Malik Hooker had 24 points for the Hurricanes, who outscored the Talbots by 19 in the fourth quarter.
• Joel Klein hit his sixth 3-pointer of the game with five seconds left to give Upper St. Clair (10-3, 6-1) a 51-50 victory against host Mt. Lebanon (6-9, 3-4) in a Class AAAA Section 4 matchup. Klein and Jordan Grabowski led the Panthers with 18 points apiece.
• Khalil Purdue hit a shot with 4.8 seconds remaining to give host McKeesport (10-3, 6-1) a 42-40 win against Class AAAA No. 3 Gateway (9-2, 6-1) in Section 2 play. Purdue finished with 12 points.
• Elijah Minnie scored 25 points and grabbed 20 rebounds to lift Class A No. 4 Lincoln Park (9-4, 4-0) to a 72-57 home victory against No. 2 Union (11-2, 3-1) in a Section 1 game.
Boys hot shots
• Players who made five or more 3-pointers: Kevin Scuilli, Montour, 8; Joel Klein, Upper St. Clair, 6; Mike Molinaro, Brashear, 5; Christian Kezmansky, Uniontown, 5.
First Published January 16, 2013 12:00 am