Mt. Lebanon kicks habit of sluggish starts in rout
Chartiers Valley's Karley O'Keefe, left, guards Gateway's Katey Wilson in a Class AAAA second-round game Tuesday. Chartiers Valley rolled to a 53-42 win, setting up a WPIAL semifinal rematch vs. Mt. Lebanon.
Share with others:
Mt. Lebanon had gotten off to slow starts in its past three postseason games, but the Blue Devils stepped on the gas pedal early and won their latest game in convincing fashion.
Alex Ventrone scored 15 points and Mt. Lebanon advanced to the PIAA Class AAAA quarterfinals for the sixth year in a row by defeating Penn-Trafford, 59-36, in a second-round game Tuesday night at Baldwin.
Mt. Lebanon (24-3) raced in front of Penn-Trafford (20-6), 13-1, after one quarter and led, 36-14, at halftime.
Ventrone scored 10 points in the second quarter.
Taylor Cortazzo paced Penn-Trafford with 13 points.
Mt. Lebanon will play Chartiers Valley in the quarterfinals. The Blue Devils lost to the Colts in the WPIAL semifinals after beating them twice in the regular season.
Other Class AAAA game
• Chartiers Valley 53, Gateway 42: Kassidy O'Keefe's 17 points helped Chartiers Valley (21-7) defeat Gateway (21-6) at Hempfield. Chartiers Valley led by as many as 17 points in the third quarter and finished 18 of 23 from the free-throw line. Alexa Golden scored 15 points for the Colts, and Katey Wilson led Gateway with 15.
• Bishop Canevin 54, General McLane 36: WPIAL champion Bishop Canevin (24-4) led, 36-6, at the half and rolled to the win against District 10 runner-up General McLane (23-4) at Sharon. Bishop Canevin's Erin Waskowiak scored 15 of her 21 points in the first half. Celina DiPietro made four 3-pointers in the second quarter.
• Burrell 45, Sharpsville 18: Sydney Bordonaro's 13 points and 10 assists vaulted Burrell (24-3) past District 10 third-place finisher Sharpsville (18-9) at Slippery Rock University. Jessica Cercone had 10 blocks for the Buccaneers, who led, 20-3, at halftime. Burrell next will play Bishop Canevin.
• Seton-LaSalle 58, Greensburg Central Catholic 38: Natalie Piaggesi had 18 points and 10 rebounds to lead defending champion Seton-LaSalle (26-2) to the win against Greensburg Central Catholic (18-8) at Baldwin. Naje Gibson had 15 points for the Rebels and Angela Heintz added 9 points and 9 assists. Devon Larkin led the Centurions with nine points.
• Mohawk 56, North East 49: Shelby Brown scored 25 points to put Mohawk (19-7) into the quarterfinals for the first time since 1983 after edging District 10 champion North East (23-4) at Meadville. Brown scored 14 points in the fourth quarter, and was 16 of 18 from the free-throw line.
First Published March 13, 2013 12:00 am