Lincoln Park starts its march toward another PIAA Class A final
Share with others:
Lincoln Park was the heavy favorite to win the WPIAL Class A championship, but was upset in the semifinals.
The Leopards couldn't have been too upset at the result of their PIAA playoff opener.
Lincoln Park started its run toward a third consecutive PIAA final appearance with a 54-45 victory against District 10 champion Kennedy Catholic Friday in a first-round game at Farrell.
Elijah Minnie led Lincoln Park (20-6) with 19 points and 11 rebounds, and Maverick Rowan scored 14.
Lincoln Park led, 24-19, at halftime, and its lead grew to 38-29 after three quarters.
The Leopards were 18 of 29 from the free-throw line, while Kennedy Catholic was 5 of 9.
Jeff Thompkins scored 14 points for Kennedy Catholic (17-7), which lost to Lincoln Park, 70-62, Jan. 23.
Lincoln Park was beaten by Clairton in the WPIAL playoffs.
More Class A
• Vincentian 82, North Clarion 47: Tony DiNardo's triple-double of 31 points, 10 rebounds and 10 steals led WPIAL champion Vincentian (26-1) to a rout of District 9 third-place finisher North Clarion (23-3) at North Hills. DiNardo scored 13 of Vincentian's 41 third-quarter points. The Royals scored two points in the fourth quarter. Ryan Wolf chipped in 20 points for Vincentian.
• Clairton 76, Cochranton 48: Bryon Clifford scored 25 points, including 11 in the fourth quarter, to help WPIAL runner-up Clairton (17-7) roll to a win against District 10 runner-up Cochranton (15-10) at Plum. Tyler Boyd and Titus Howard had 15 points each for the Bears.
• Shade 75, North Catholic 47: Danny Savulchak scored 22 points, but it wasn't enough for North Catholic (16-7), which lost to District 5 champion Shade (26-1) at Pitt-Johnstown. The Trojans trailed by 14 points after the first quarter and 19 at the half. Wade Walker had 22 points and Nash Walker 18 for Shade.
• Chartiers Valley 71, Erie Strong Vincent 54: Spencer Casson's 22 points helped Chartiers Valley (23-4) bounce back from a loss in the WPIAL championship by defeating District 10 third-place finisher Erie Strong Vincent (14-12) at Baldwin. Matty McConnell had 15 points for the Colts, who were 22 of 25 from the free-throw line.
• Beaver 60, Bradford 46: Austin Logan scored 11 of his 20 points in the third quarter to vault the Bobcats (20-4) past District 9 champion Bradford (21-3) at Pitt-Bradford. Beaver led by two at halftime and outscored Bradford, 23-9, in the third quarter. Logan made 9 of 10 free throws. Corey Nesmith added 17 points for the Bobcats.
• Girard 66, Mars 62: District 10 runner-up Girard (21-5) led by seven points at halftime and hung on to eliminate Mars (21-5) at Gannon. Girard made 10 three-pointers and Mars made nine. Mitch Buzard led the Planets with 18 points, while Matt Getsy had 12 and Zach May 10.
• General McLane 67, Thomas Jefferson 42: Thomas Jefferson was denied its first PIAA victory since 2006, as the Jaguars (17-8) were defeated by District 10 champion General McLane (21-5) at Edinboro University. General McLane's Jaymon Mason, the leading scorer in District 10, had 32 points.
First Published March 9, 2013 12:00 am