Kittanning, Henry pull off major upset in AAA
Share with others:
Kittanning picked up its first WPIAL playoff win in the past 29 years Friday night.
The Wildcats didn't have to wait nearly as long to get another one.
Sterling Henry scored 30 points as Kittanning posted one of the biggest upsets of the playoffs by defeating No. 5 seed Central Valley, 67-62, in a Class AAA first-round game Tuesday night at Hampton.
Central Valley (16-7), the Section 2 co-champion, fell behind Kittanning, 19-15, after the first quarter.
The Warriors cut the deficit to 32-30 at halftime. But Henry scored 14 points in the third quarter while Kittanning (20-4) outscored Central Valley, 20-18.
Alek Schaffer and Vince Mead scored 10 points apiece for Kittanning, which has won seven of its past eight games.
Jacob St. George led Central Valley with 17 points.
Kittanning beat Yough in the preliminary round for the school's first playoff win since 1984.
Other Class AAA
• Chartiers Valley 77, Knoch 43: Top-seed Chartiers Valley (20-3) got 23 points from Michael Boulos and 20 from Matty McConnell to coast to a win against Knoch (12-12) at North Allegheny. The Colts outscored Knoch, 24-9, in the first quarter.
• Uniontown 66, Blackhawk 61: Jordan Pratt's 24 points helped No. 7 Uniontown (17-3) edge No. 10 Blackhawk (12-11) at Canon-McMillan. Chase Migliore scored 14 of his 23 points in the fourth quarter for Blackhawk, which lost its final four games.
• Montour 43, Ambridge 25: No. 3 Montour (19-5) held Ambridge (14-9) to its lowest point total this season while gaining the win at Moon. Devin Wilson scored 13 points and Rob Julian had 11 for No. 3 Montour, which has won 11 games in a row.
• Mars 65, South Park 37: Josh Goetz scored 23 points and No. 2 Mars (20-3) limited South Park (13-10) to 10 first-half points on its way to a win at Moon. Mars, which owns the No. 2 scoring defense in Class AAA, has won seven consecutive games.
• Beaver 56, Indiana 53: Corey Nesmith scored eight of his 20 points in the fourth quarter and Aaron Barlow added 18 to propel No. 4 Beaver (18-3) to a victory against Indiana (17-7) at Butler. Darrious Carter paced Indiana with 17 points.
• Thomas Jefferson 48, Laurel Highlands 41: Section 4 champion and No. 6 seed Thomas Jefferson (17-6) advanced with the victory against No. 11 Laurel Highlands (15-7) at Gateway. Joe Carroll led Thomas Jefferson with 14 points.
• Lincoln Park 95, Mapletown 37: Maverick Rowan scored 34 points and No. 1 Lincoln Park (18-5) jumped to a 62-9 halftime lead on its way to a win against Mapletown (7-17) at Keystone Oaks. Lincoln Park's Elijah Minnie had 24 points and 10 rebounds.
• Wilkinsburg 63, Carmichaels 42: Jonathan Blue scored 18 points and D'Shawn Adair chipped in 16 to push No. 9 Wilkinsburg (13-9) past No. 8 Carmichaels (17-5) at Peters Township. Wilkinsburg has won nine of its past 11 games.
First Published February 20, 2013 12:09 am