High School Highlights: No. 2 Blackhawk downs No. 1 Hopewell
South Park's Halie Torris (21) and Quaker Valley's Rachel Smith collide in second half Thursday at Quaker Valley.
Share with others:
In the first of two meetings between the top two teams in WPIAL Class AAA girls basketball, No. 2 Blackhawk went on the road Thursday night and beat top-ranked Hopewell, 56-52.
"It's a big win, but it's early, and we still have to face them again," Blackhawk coach Steve Lodovico said.
The Cougars (5-0, 2-0) led at the end of every quarter of the early Section 3showdown, including a 23-22 advantage at halftime.
Chassidy Omogrosso led Blackhawk with 18 points. Courtney Vannoy added 16, 12 of which came in the first half, and grabbed 11 rebounds.
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough had a game-high 32 points for the Vikings (5-1, 2-1).
Other top girls games
• Mariah Wells had 22 points and 10 rebounds to lead Class AAAA No. 1-ranked Chartiers Valley (5-0) to a 63-46 victory against Proviso West of Illinois in the KSA Holiday tournament in Orlando, Fla. Wells had 13 of her points in the first half. Alexa Golden added 13 points and 11 rebounds for the Colts.
• Allison McGrath scored 15 of her game-high 19 points to lead Class AAA No. 3 South Park (6-0, 3-0) to a 71-35 win against host Quaker Valley (3-2, 1-1) in Section 5. The Eagles led, 41-14, at halftime and had four players score in double figures.
• Greensburg Salem (3-2, 2-0) handed host Uniontown (5-1, 2-1) its first loss this season, 50-40, in Class AAA Section 3. Claire Oberdorf led the Golden Lions with 15 points
• Ciara Gregory scored 29 points to lead Class AA No. 5 Jeannette (5-1, 3-0) to a 58-46 win against host Springdale in Section 3. Amanda Koprivnikar led Springdale with 15 points.
• Behind 26 points from Kristin Jackson, Class A No. 5 Quigley (5-2, 2-0) gave visiting Union (3-3, 2-1) its first Section 1loss, 57-24.
• California's Courtnee McMasters scored 16 points, grabbed 12 rebounds, dished out 7 assists and added 4 steals in the Trojans' 60-33 win against Burgettstown.
• Sisters Sammie and Cassie Weiss scored 33 of their combined 47 points in the first half of McGuffey's 90-38 win against Bentworth. Sammie Weiss finished with 25 points and has 55 in her past two games.
Top boys game
• Danny Savulchak scored 15 of his game-high 29 points in the fourth quarter as Class A No. 2 North Catholic (4-1) rallied for a 67-64 victory against visiting Keystone Oaks (3-4) in a non-section game. The Trojans trailed, 52-45, entering the fourth quarter.
Girls hot shots
• Players who made four or more 3-pointers: Emily Mastroianni, Montour, 5; Monica Burns, Hempfield, 5; Maddi Lewis, Freedom, 5; Mia Barchetti, Penn-Trafford, 5; Sydnee Abernathy, Allderdice, 4; Sara Getsy, Mars, 4; Lexi LoNero, Winchester Thurston, 4; Nikki Ingle, Norwin, 4; Ashley Bruni, Riverview, 4; Amanda Koprivnikar, Springdale, 4.
Boys hot shots
• Players who made four or more 3-pointers: Dylan Muller, Northgate, 6; Taylor Lehman, Keystone Oaks, 5; Koby Phillippe, Keystone Oaks, 4; Brian Kolich, Central Valley, 4; Austin Miller, Knoch, 4.
First Published December 21, 2012 12:00 am