High School Highlights: Mt. Lebanon girls hold off Chartiers Valley
Mars' Daniella Paras fouls Hampton's Sara Pilarski.
Hampton's Alexiss Griggs looks to pass as Mars' Ali Goetz defends Monday at Hampton. Hampton won, 46-24 to stay unbeaten in Class AAA Section 1.
Share with others:
Mt. Lebanon had its 25-game section winning streak snapped Thursday by Bethel Park.
So the No. 2-ranked team in Class AAAA started a new streak Monday night.
Mt. Lebanon led by 11 points heading into the fourth quarter and held off a rally by visiting Chartiers Valley for a 48-45 win in a Section 4 showdown.
The Colts (8-3, 4-1), ranked No. 3, led by one point at halftime, but Mt. Lebanon (9-2, 3-1) outscored the visitors, 21-9, in the third quarter.
But Chartiers Valley had a chance to tie the score at the buzzer, but its 3-pointer did not fall.
"Chartiers Valley is a really good team and didn't quit," Mt. Lebanon coach Dori Oldaker said.
Margie McCaffrey and Madeleine Collins led the Blue Devils with 11 points apiece.
Mariah Wells had a game-high 13 points for the Colts, who suffered their first loss to a WPIAL team this season.
Other top girls game
• Blackhawk (11-0, 4-0), top-ranked in Class AAA, got 21 points from Chassidy Omogrosso and 17 from Bridgette Shaffer in a 71-55 victory against host Ambridge (6-3, 2-2) in Section 2. Kelly Haslett led the Bridgers with 19 points.
• Upper St. Clair (7-3, 2-2), ranked No. 5 in Class AAAA, rallied from an eight-point halftime deficit to take down Canon-McMillan (3-6, 0-5), 55-47, in a Section 4 contest. Elayna Kaylor and Jordan Serio led the Panthers with 15 points apiece.
• Beaver (8-1, 5-0) outscored Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (9-2, 3-1) by 10 points in the second half in a 41-34 victory in matchup of the top two teams in Class AA Section 6. Eleanor Neeley had a game-high 17 points for Beaver.
• Amanda Brown scored 13 points to lead Class A fourth-ranked Carmichaels (10-1, 2-0) to a 46-38 victory against visiting California (9-2, 1-1) in a Section 3 showdown. Courtnee McMasters had 20 points for the Trojans.
Stars of the night
• Hopewell star Shatori Walker-Kimbrough scored 40 points, grabbed 12 rebounds, dished out 8 assists and recorded 6 steals as the Class AAA No. 2 Vikings (10-1, 3-1) beat visiting West Allegheny (3-8, 0-4), 86-20, in Section 2. Walker-Kimbrough needs eight points to reach the 2,000-point mark.
• WPIAL leading scorer Ciara Gregory matched her season average by scoring 33 points in helping Jeannette (7-3) to a 47-40 win against visiting Ford City (4-5) in a non-conference game.
• CeCe Dixon scored 30 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to lift host Steel Valley (7-3, 3-1) to a 65-40 victory against Fort Cherry (4-3, 2-2) in Class AA Section 4. Rachel Bellhy had 27 points for the Rangers.
• In boys action, JaQuan Davidson scored 33 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to lead Elizabeth Forward (5-6) to an 82-58 victory against Yough (4-8).
Girls hot shots
• Players with four or more 3-pointers: Katlyn Keenan, East Allegheny, 5; Bridgette Shaffer, Blackhawk, 5; Mara Fitzgerald, Oakland Catholic, 5; Ciara Gregory, Jeannette, 4; Hailie Torris, South Park, 4.
First Published January 8, 2013 12:00 am