High School Highlights: Key section win for South Fayette boys
Keystone Oaks' Braydon Griffiths tries to block South Fayette's Evan Bonnaure, who paced the Lions with 29 points in the win.
Share with others:
South Fayette opened its boys' basketball season in a big way Tuesday night, winning a Class AAA Section 5 contest at Keystone Oaks, 77-69.
The Lions had four players in double-figures, led by Evan Bonnaure's 29 points and five 3-pointers. CJ Rudisill added 15 points for South Fayette.
Keystone Oaks (2-1, 0-1) was led by Taylor Lehman's 18 points.
Other top boys games
• Class AAAA No. 5 Bethel Park (3-0) defeated Brashear (2-1), 48-37. Wyatt Hagerty led host Bethel Park with 16 points.
• Class AAAA Norwin (2-1) was led by Curtis Perz's 17 points as the Knights topped Class A No. 2 Monessen (0-3), 66-56, in the Franklin Regional tournament.
• Pine-Richland (3-0) sent Blackhawk (0-2) home with a loss as the Rams prevailed, 57-45. Collin Jackson's 12 points paced Pine-Richland.
• A.J. Greco's steal led to a basket at the buzzer, giving host Baldwin (3-1) a 41-39 overtime win against Connellsville (1-2).
• Class AAAA No. 1 New Castle (3-0) opened play in Section 3 with a 64-48 win at Butler (1-2). Malik Hooker led New Castle with 19 points.
• Geno Thorpe, a Penn State recruit, poured in 45 points for Shaler (3-0) in an 83-62 Titans win at McKeesport (1-2).
• The WPIAL granted Lincoln Park player Elijah Minnie another hearing concerning his eligibility. Both the WPIAL and PIAA ruled Minnie ineligible this season, claiming he transferred from Summit Academy to Lincoln Park for athletic reasons. Lincoln Park contends it has new evidence and requested another hearing. It will be held Monday.
Top girls game
• Class AAAA No. 2 Chartiers Valley (2-0, 1-0) used a 6-0 run in the final minute to grab a 51-44 win at Canon-McMillan (2-1, 0-1) in Section 4. Mariah Wells led the Colts with 14 points.
• Players with four or more 3-pointers: Sam Nowicki, Greensburg Salem, 7; Max Kaminsky, Serra, 6; Jay Fyda, Quigley, 6; Jon Sabo, Burgettstown, 6; Evan Bonnaure, South Fayette, 5; Taylor Lehman, Keystone Oaks, 5; Jon Magusiak, South Side Beaver, 4; Wes Lavrinc, Trinity Christian, 4; Nick Parello, Peters Township, 4; Easton Bazzoli, Seneca Valley, 4; Rob Julian, Montour, 4; Dominick Sarra, Waynesburg, 4; Riley Stapleton, Indiana, 4.
First Published December 12, 2012 12:00 am