High School Highlights: Gateway rallies to win rematch against Central Catholic
Share with others:
In a rematch of last season's WPIAL Class AAAA championship game, Gateway again got the best of Central Catholic Friday night.
The two-time defending WPIAL champion Gators (9-1, 6-0) overcame a 19-10 deficit after one quarter to take down the Vikings (8-4, 4-2), 52-49, in a Section 2 matchup.
Deon Cottrell-Baker led the host Gators with 14 points. Central Catholic got a game-high 23 points from David Urso.
Gateway beat Central Catholic, 49-39, in the WPIAL title game in March.
Other top boys games
• Led by Easton Bazzoli's 20 points, Seneca Valley (8-3, 4-2) went on the road and handed Class AAAA No. 4 Hampton (10-2, 4-2) its second consecutive loss, 57-35, in a Section 3 contest. The Talbots' top two scorers, Ryan Luther and David Huber, were held to a combined 12 points.
• Evan Bonnaure scored 23 points to lead South Fayette (9-2, 5-0) to a 53-46 victory against visiting Montour (8-3, 3-2) in a Class AAA Section 5 showdown. Devin Wilson had 21 points for Montour.
• Brian Graytok scored 44 points to lead Class AA No. 3 Greensburg Central Catholic (12-1, 5-0) to an 85-69 victory against visiting Serra Catholic (10-2, 3-2) in a Section 3 game.
Minnie impresses in debut
• Elijah Minnie, who was ruled eligible Thursday by the PIAA, almost had a triple-double in his debut for Lincoln Park. Minnie scored 21 points, grabbed 14 rebounds and blocked nine shots as the Class A No. 4 Leopards (7-4, 3-0) defeated visiting Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (9-3, 1-2), 72-48, in Section 1 play.
• Brett Haney scored 35 points to lead Canon-McMillan 8-6, (3-3) to an 82-77 win in triple overtime against Class AAAA Section 4 foe Mt. Lebanon (6-7, 3-3). The Big Macs' Seth Petras sent the game into overtime with a basket with two seconds remaining in regulation.
• Cody Gilchrist scored a basket with five seconds left in overtime to give Class AAAA No. 5 Bethel Park (11-1, 6-0) a 65-63 win against host Trinity (9-5, 3-3) in a Section 4 game. Gilchrist finished with 18 points.
• Albert Gallatin (1-11) broke a 33-game losing streak, beating Waynesburg (3-9), 64-63, on 3-pointer at the buzzer by Christian Goletz in a non-section matchup.
Stars of the night
• Brandon Lawless of Carmichaels (11-2, 2-1) scored 39 points and grabbed 20 rebounds in the host Mighty Mikes' 76-50 victory against Geibel (0-9, 0-3) in a Class A Section 3 contest.
• Anthony Rocco of West Shamokin (6-6, 2-3) set a school record with 40 points in the team's 74-69 overtime win against visiting Burrell (9-3, 3-1) in a Class AA Section 1 game.
Boys hot shots
• Players with five or more 3-pointers: Robbie Miller, Freeport, 7; Josh Zidek, Albert-Gallatin, 6; Jordan Williams, East Allegheny, 6; Curtis Perz, Norwin, 6; A.J. Greco, Baldwin, 5; Tyler Roth, Mt. Lebanon, 5; Brett Haney, Canon-McMillan, 5.
• Desiree Garland of Woodland Hills (4-8, 1-4) scored 14 points to give her 1,001 for her career in the Wolvernines' loss to visiting Franklin Regional (7-4, 3-2), 58-46, in Class AAAA Section 2 contest.
First Published January 12, 2013 12:00 am