High School Highlights: Central Catholic prevails in 3-OT thriller
Share with others:
A snow postponement Friday made Central Catholic wait an extra day to try to avenge an early season loss to McKeesport, so adding a few overtimes didn't matter to the Vikings.
David Urso scored 32 points and Central Catholic outlasted visiting McKeesport, 89-83, in three overtimes Saturday in Class AAAA Section 2.
Central Catholic (12-5, 8-2) led by 11 points at halftime, but McKeesport (11-5, 7-3) rallied to force overtime.
Central Catholic's Sam Calhoun made a 3-pointer with one second left in overtime to force double overtime. McKeesport's William Gadson then made a 3-pointer with one second left to force a third overtime.
Urso scored four of Central Catholic's eight points in overtime.
Gadson led McKeesport with 20 points.
Other top boys games
• David Haus (16 points) led a group of four North Allegheny players in double figures as the Class AAAA No. 2 Tigers (15-1, 9-1) defeated No. 3 Seneca Valley (13-4, 7-3) for the second time this season, 67-51, in Section 3. The Tigers have beaten the Raiders eight consecutive times.
• Ryan Pearson scored 19 points and host Avonworth (11-6, 7-2) moved into the Class AA Section 6 lead with a 45-42 victory against No. 5 Sto-Rox (9-6, 6-2). The Antelopes have won seven in a row.
Boys hot shots
• Players who made four or more 3-pointers: William Gadson, McKeesport, 6; Sam Calhoun, Central Catholic, 5; Ryan Wolf, Vincentian, 5; A.J. Greco, Baldwin, 4; Andrew Labutka, Ford City, 4; Billy Urso, Fox Chapel, 4; Cory Sevacko, Keystone Oaks, 4; Mike Simmons, Kiski Area, 4; David Gallagher, Knoch, 4; Justin David, Mt. Lebanon, 4; Christian Koroly, Trinity, 4.
Top girls games
• Class AAAA No. 2 Mt. Lebanon (16-2) trailed by eight points after the first quarter, but rallied to defeat visiting Cumberland Valley (15-4), 42-40, in a non-section game. Christine Ehland led the Blue Devils with 20 points.
• Caitlin Baxter's buzzer-beating layup gave host Butler (9-9, 5-3) a 32-31 overtime win against Oakland Catholic (7-10, 6-3) in Class AAAA Section 3. Baxter finished with 12 points.
Doing it all
• Jenna Lucas scored all of Fort Cherry's points in a 41-22 non-section loss against visiting Trinity (6-10). Fort Cherry (6-8) played most of the game without leading scorer Rachel Bellhy, who was injured in the first quarter.
Girls hot shots
• Players who made four or more 3-pointers: Jenna Lucas, Fort Cherry, 4.
First Published January 27, 2013 12:00 am