High School Basketball: Mt. Lebanon edges No. 4 Chartiers Valley
Hempfield's Leah Knizner and Casey Hamilton fight for a rebound against Kiski Area's Maddie Antone Thursday night at Hempfield.
Share with others:
Chartiers Valley seemed to own the momentum heading into the fourth quarter of its home game Thursday night against Mt. Lebanon.
After trailing by as many as 17 points in the third quarter, the Colts cut the lead to six entering the fourth.
But the girls Class AAAA No. 1 Blue Devils (18-2, 9-1) prevented No. 4 Chartiers Valley (14-5, 8-3) from getting closer, winning, 49-40, to move into a first-place tie in Section 4 with Bethel Park.
The Colts got back in the game because Kassidy O'Keefe and Jenna Devinney hit a combined three 3-pointers down the stretch of the third quarter to cut Mt. Lebanon's lead to 36-30, entering the fourth quarter.
But Mt. Lebanon's Margie McCaffrey hit 5 of 6 free throws in the fourth quarter to help the Blue Devils preserve their lead.
Jordan Holmes led Mt. Lebanon with 16 points.
Alexa Golden had 13 for the Colts.
Other top girls games
• Class A No. 5 Carmichaels (17-2, 7-1) avenged a loss to Avella (11-7, 7-1) by beating the visiting Eagles, 48-45, in Section 3. Caroline Cree had 15 points on five 3-pointers for Carmichaels.
• Hampton (15-4, 10-0) widened its lead in Class AAA Section 1 by completing the season sweep of host Mars (13-7, 8-2), 44-28. Sara Pilarski led the Talbots with 16 points.
• Becca Babincak scored 23 points to lead Class AA No. 4 Deer Lakes (15-2, 8-1) to a 50-44 victory against host West Shamokin (11-9, 4-5) in Section 1. Jill Glover had 17 of her game-high 29 points in the second half as she tried to rally West Shamokin.
• Behind 17 points from Lexi Posset, Beaver (16-1, 11-0) took down visiting Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (15-4, 8-2), 32-21, in Class AA Section 6.
Star of the night
• Freshman Natalie Myers of Class AA No. 3 Burrell (15-2, 8-0) scored 21 points and grabbed 20 rebounds to lead the Bucs to a 75-35 victory against host Apollo-Ridge (10-9, 2-7) in Section 1.
• Senior Carly Forse scored 14 points to give her 1,006 points in her high school career as Class AA No. 2 Bishop Canevin (16-3, 9-1) grabbed a 61-24 victory against host Brentwood (8-12, 2-9) in Section 4.
• Riverside (11-8, 7-3) senior Alex Deep scored 16 to give her 1,005 career points after a 69-34 victory against host Laurel (5-13, 2-8) in Class AA Section 2.
• Senior Jaylee Patterson of South Allegheny (7-12, 2-8) has 1,000 career points after scoring 15 in a 48-37 loss to visiting Riverview (12-7, 6-5) in Class AA Section 3.
Girls hot shots
• Players who made five or more 3-pointers: Alaina Thomas, Kittanning, 6; Jayne Oberdorf, Greensburg Salem, 6; Celina DiPietro, Bishop Canevin, 5; Paige Flore, West Mifflin, 5; Jaylee Patterson, South Allegheny, 5; Caroline Cree, Carmichaels, 5.
First Published February 1, 2013 12:00 am