Hampton captures own tournament, beats Kiski Area
Peters Township's Rylen Faloni, left, and North Allegheny's Elijah Zeise battle for possession of a loose ball in the first half Friday at North Allegheny. North Allegheny won, 71-35.
North Catholic's Danny Savulchak, left, looks to pass around Mercyhurst's Curtis Jones in the first half Friday at North Allegheny. North Catholic won, 53-30.
Share with others:
A few weeks ago, Hampton's Ryan Luther hit a buzzer-beating shot to give his team a dramatic win. Friday, Ryan's twin brother provided his own heroics.
Collin Luther made the tying and go-ahead free throws with 15 seconds left and later pulled down the clinching defensive rebound to lift Class AAAA No. 2 Hampton to a 54-53 win against Kiski Area in the Hampton tournament championship.
Collin Luther finished with eight points and tournament MVP Ryan Luther had a game-high 20.
Hampton (9-0) trailed by as many as six points in the second half before rallying to beat Kiski Area (5-4).
Adam Robison paced Kiski Area with 18 points.
Other top games
• Deon Cottrell-Baker had 10 of his 23 points in the fourth quarter for Class AAAA No. 3 Gateway (6-0) in an 85-65 win against Class AA No. 4 Greensburg Central Catholic (8-1) in a Gateway tournament semifinal. Brian Graytok led the Centurions with 27 points.
• Bryon Clifford scored 13 of his game-high 26 points in the third quarter to lead Class A No. 4 Clairton (2-1) to a 64-50 win against Wilkinsburg (2-5) in a Gateway tournament consolation game.
• Mt. Lebanon knocked down 12 3-pointers, but the Blue Devils (4-4) were defeated by Jeffersonville, Ind., 76-67, in a Bob Wettig Memorial tournament quarterfinal in Richmond, Ind. Brothers Jonny (five) and Justin David (three) combined for eight 3-pointers. Jonny David scored 17 points.
• Geno Thorpe's 35 points helped Shaler (6-4) defeat Lincoln Park (4-4), 66-62, in the C.J. Betters tournament Grey Division championship. Lincoln Park's Maverick Rowan scored 26 points.
• Rob Julian's 17 points led a group of five Montour (7-1) players scoring in double figures as the Class AAA No. 4 Spartans (7-1) held off Hempfield (7-3), 74-61, in the Montour tournament.
• Also in the Montour tournament, Drew Cook scored 23 points to push Class AA No. 2 Beaver Falls (6-2) to a 79-73 win against Fox Chapel (8-1). Matt D'Amico led the Foxes with 32 points.
• Tanner Huffman surpassed 1,000 points for his career, but California (6-1) was edged by Steel Valley (5-2), 69-62, in a Charleroi tournament semifinal. Huffman had 26 points in the game and has 1,106 in his career.
• Brandon Thomas had 15 points and 12 rebounds, and New Brighton (9-1) held Cornell (2-6) scoreless in the third overtime to gain a 66-62 win in the Neighborhood Academy tournament championship.
Stars of the night
• Jared Skolnicki scored 31 points and added 11 rebounds for Keystone Oaks (4-5) in an 80-67 win against Baldwin (3-6) in the Hampton tournament consolation game. The Golden Eagles outscored Baldwin, 25-8, in the third quarter.
• Leechburg's Ben Richie connected on eight 3-pointers and finished with 33 points, leading the Blue Devils (4-5) to a 73-65 win against Harvest Baptist in the Apollo-Ridge tournament consolation game.
• Players who made five or more 3-pointers: Ben Richie, Leechburg, 8; Zach Talley, Thomas Jefferson, 7; Austin Saal, Beaver, 6; Andy Panizzi, Derry, 6; Maverick Rowan, Lincoln Park, 6; Matt McKinney, Neshannock, 6; Christian Kezmarsky, Uniontown, 6; Drew Cook, Beaver Falls, 5; Kevin Scuilli, Montour, 5; Jonny David, Mt. Lebanon, 5; Jay Fyda, Quigley Catholic, 5; Ryan Wolf, Vincentian Academy, 5.
First Published December 29, 2012 12:00 am