Girls Basketball Roundup: Senior guard sparks Cornell to 61-56 win
Share with others:
Trailing by eight at halftime to No. 6 seed Carmichaels, Cornell turned to its leading scorer, senior guard Mason DePetro.
DePetro didn't disappoint, scoring 17 of her game-high 28 points after halftime to lead the No. 11 Raiders (12-10) to a 61-56 victory in a WPIAL Class A first-round playoff game at West Allegheny.
It was just the second loss in its past 10 games for Carmichaels (19-4).
DePetro scored in a variety of ways, hitting four 3-pointers and scoring 10 points from the free-throw line on 16 attempts.
As a team, Cornell was 16 of 28 from the line, while Carmichaels finished 6 of 12.
Taylor Davis and Nicole Byron each added 11 points for the Raiders. Davis also had 14 rebounds.
Amanda Brown led Carmichaels with 19 points.
Other Class A games
• St. Joseph 45, Avella 30: Mallory Heinle scored 19 of her 23 points in the second half as the 12th-seeded Spartans (11-12) knocked off No. 5 Avella (13-9) in a first-round playoff matchup at North Hills. Avella's leading scorer, Olivia English, did not play because of an injury.
• North Catholic 65, Frazier 37: The No. 3 Trojanettes (14-9) scored the first 15 points in their rout of Frazier (10-12) in a first-round game at Baldwin. North Catholic's Lauren Wolosik finished with 28 points, 8 assists and 7 rebounds.
• Quigley 81, California 38: The fourth-seeded Spartans (17-5) outscored California (14-8), 28-4, in the second quarter on their way to a season-high total in points in a first-round game at Peters Township. Morgan Dillon finished with 14 points and 16 rebounds for Quigley. California senior Courtnee McMasters scored 18 points to give her 1,002 for her career.
• West Greene 50, Clairton 26: The Pioneers (13-9) got 25 points from Madison Raber in a preliminary-round victory against the Bears (7-14) at West Allegheny.
• Jefferson-Morgan 29, Eden Christian 25: In a preliminary-round game at Chartiers Valley, Katie Shaffer and Kayla Yorko each scored eight points to lead the Rockets (10-13) past the Warriors (12-11).
Class AAA preliminary round
• Indiana 36, Ringgold 35: With the score tied, Audrey Stapleton hit 1 of 2 free throws with one second left to give the Little Indians (16-7) a victory against the Rams (10-11) at Gateway. Stapleton finished with a game-high 17 points.
• West Mifflin 61, Kittanning 41: Taylor Thomas scored 23 points to help the Titans (10-12) get a victory against the Wildcats (9-14) at Highlands. West Mifflin entered the contest having lost five of its previous eight games.
• Keystone Oaks 45, Mount Pleasant 39: Led by Kayla Brownlee's 16 points, the Golden Eagles (14-8) took down the Vikings (10-13) at Gateway.
• South Fayette 61, Freeport 35: The Lions (15-7) jumped to an 18-5 lead and cruised to a victory against the Yellowjackets (8-13) at North Allegheny.
First Published February 17, 2013 12:00 am