Girls' Basketball: Jeannette storms back to overtake Deer Lakes
Fox Chapel's Erin Mathias reacts after losing, 45-42, to Mt. Lebanon in the WPIAL Class AAAA quarterfinal.
Share with others:
Jeannette and Ciara Gregory, the WPIAL's leading scorer during the regular season, are headed to the WPIAL semifinals thanks to another prolific postseason scoring performance by the senior guard.
Three days after scoring 41 in a first-round win, Gregory poured in 35 points to help the No. 5 Jayhawks (17-6) rally from a 27-13 second-quarter deficit to win, 64-56, Friday night against No. 4 Deer Lakes (20-4) in a WPIAL Class AA quarterfinal game at Fox Chapel.
Deer Lakes built a 22-13 first-quarter lead behind six 3-pointers and things were starting to look like the regular-season meeting between the two teams, a 20-point Deer Lakes' win. But the Lancers had no answer for Gregory. In a span of 1:38 in the second quarter Gregory scored 11 points.
Jeannette junior forward Sydney Pecoraro scored nine points and finished with 25 rebounds.
Class AA quarterfinals
• Seton-LaSalle 66, Greensburg Central Catholic 43: Natalie Piaggesi scored 18 and Angela Heintz added 15 plus nine assists as No. 1 Seton-LaSalle (23-1) handled No. 8 Greensburg Central Catholic, 66-43, at Bethel Park. The Centurions (17-7) were led by Carolyn Appleby who scored 12.
• Bishop Canevin 56, Mohawk 44: Celina DiPietro hit eight 3-pointers and finished with 26 points to lift No. 2 Bishop Canevin (20-4) to a 56-44 win against No. 7 Mohawk (17-7) at West Allegheny. DiPietro hit five 3-pointers in the first quarter as the Crusaders built a 23-10 first-quarter lead. Erin Waskowiak and Carly Forse each scored 14 for Bishop Canevin who watched coach Tim Joyce pick up his 200th career win. Paige Ruby led Mohawk with 20 points.
• Burrell 61, McGuffey 41: Four players scored in double figures to help lead No. 3 Burrell (22-2) to a 61-41 win against No. 6 McGuffey (20-3) at Keystone Oaks. McGuffey's Sammie Weiss, the WPIAL's third-leading scorer in the regular season, led all scorers with 23 points, but the Buccaneers got 17 from Sydney Bordonaro and 15 from Kelsey Oddis.
Class AAAA quarterfinals
• Chartiers Valley 55, Upper St. Clair 52: Chartiers Valley won its two regular-season meetings against Upper St. Clair by a combined 50 points. There would be no such blowout in the WPIAL quarterfinals at Canon-McMillan. The No. 3 Colts (18-6) and No. 13 Panthers (12-12) were tied, 11-11, after the first quarter and 24-24 at halftime before Chartiers Valley prevailed thanks to 16 points from Mariah Wells to complete the season sweep of the Panthers. Upper St. Clair was led by 20 points from Jordan Serio and 18 from Elayna Kaylor in the loss.
• Mt. Lebanon 45, Fox Chapel 42: Mt. Lebanon was held to four points in the first quarter and 10 points in the first half but in the end the Blue Devils, the No. 1 seed and defending WPIAL champions, held court. Mt. Lebanon (22-2) overcame a 12-10 halftime-deficit and 19 points from Erin Mathias of No. 8 Fox Chapel (18-6) to prevail 45-42 at North Allegheny. Alex Ventrone scored 14 points and Christine Ehland added 13 for Mt. Lebanon in the win.
• Bethel Park 43, Penn-Trafford 34: Bethel Park's Megan Marecic led all scorers with 22 points as the No. 3 Black Hawks (21-3) ousted No. 6 Penn-Trafford 43-34 at Baldwin. Taylor Cortazzo led the Warriors (19-5) with 14 points.
First Published February 23, 2013 12:02 am