Central Valley tops Hopewell in Class AAA girls basketball showdown
Jeannette's Monique Redman goes up for a shot in second-half action Monday night against Greensburg Central Catholic.
Share with others:
Kiana Law picked a good time to have a career night.
Law, who transferred from Beaver Falls to Central Valley this school year, scored a career-high 30 points to lead the Class AAA No. 4 Warriors (11-1, 5-1) to a 56-52 overtime victory against No. 2 Hopewell (12-2, 4-2) in a Section 2 showdown.
"She's capable of that every night," Central Valley coach Chris Wagner said of Law.
Law scored two of the team's six overtime points, with Seairra Barrett scoring the rest. Barrett finished with 14 points.
The Warriors enjoyed an advantage at the free-throw line, hitting 21 of 29 while Hopewell was just 9 of 15.
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough led Hopewell with 20 points.
Other top girls games
• Brenna Wise made a layup in the final second to give Class A No. 1 Vincentian (12-0, 6-0) a 65-64 win against No. 3 North Catholic (8-6, 5-1) in a Section 2 matchup. Wise finished with 24 points, 19 of which came in the second half, as Vincentian rallied from a nine-point halftime deficit. North Catholic's Lauren Wolosik led all scorers with 32 points and also grabbed 15 rebounds.
• Naje Gibson scored 19 points and pulled down 13 rebounds as Class AA No. 1 Seton-LaSalle (12-1, 6-0) went on the road and crushed No. 2 Bishop Canevin (11-2, 5-1), 66-35, in a Section 4 showdown. Including postseason play, Seton-LaSalle has won seven consecutive games against the Crusaders.
• Behind 20 points from Sydney Bordonaro, Class AA No. 4 Burrell (9-1, 5-0) took down visiting No. 3 Deer Lakes (11-2, 4-1), 47-32, in Section 1.
• WPIAL leading scorer Ciara Gregory scored 40 points to help host Jeannette (9-4, 6-0) beat Class AA No. 5 Greensburg Central Catholic (10-4, 5-1), 72-70, in a matchup of Section 3's top two teams.
• After trailing by two at halftime, Bethel Park (12-1, 6-0) outscored Baldwin (6-7, 2-4), 9-1, in the third quarter as the Class AAAA No. 1 Black Hawks went on to win, 44-39, in Section 4. Megan Marecic and Sami Simpson each scored 13 points for Bethel Park.
Stars of the night
• Madison Raber of West Greene (8-5, 1-3) had 30 points and 18 rebounds in a 43-42 loss to visiting Avella (8-4, 4-0) in Class A Section 3. Raber had 21 of the team's 27 points in the second half.
• Ambridge's Katie Fischer hit five 3-pointers and scored 32 points in a 77-39 victory for the Bridgers (7-4, 3-3) against visiting West Allegheny (5-9, 0-6) in a Class AAA Section 2 game.
Girls hot shots
• Players who made four or more 3-pointers: Katie Fischer, Ambridge, 5; Jacqueline Mathews, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, 5; Jaylee Patterson, South Allegheny, 4; Chassidy Omogrosso, Blackhawk 4; Ashley Bruni, Riverview, 4.
First Published January 15, 2013 12:00 am