Athletes of the Week: 10.19.12
Share with others:
Last week: Posey scored two goals in a 2-0 victory against Knoch last Thursday.
Check this out: Posey finished the regular season as one of the leading goal-scorers in WPIAL boys soccer and helped the Planets (15-2-1) win the WPIAL Class AA Section 2 championship. Posey, a senior forward, finished with 27 goals. He is a four-year varsity member and has been part of teams that played in two WPIAL title games.
• Would it be a big deal if you led the WPIAL in goals? It definitely would be a cool honor, but still not as cool as winning a WPIAL championship or anything like that.
• Teammate Matt White also is a big goal-scorer. Has he helped make things easier on you? Definitely. If he wasn't there, a lot of teams would be 'marking' me. The fact that Matt is on the side right with me, teams have to pay attention to him as well.
• Mars has been in the WPIAL title game two of the past three years. How good is this team? Well, we're about to find out. I definitely think we can make a run at the WPIAL final, but we're going to have to go through some tough teams.
• Mars' girls soccer is good this season, the football team is good and the girls volleyball team is good. What's up with all this success? I think our senior class is a really athletic class. I don't think that many seniors last year played many sports, so we got a lot of varsity time. We have a lot of good developmental programs, too, at the younger levels. We care about our athletics here.
• Can you notice a difference in schools when sports teams have success? More people pay attention to winning teams than losing teams. It's always fun to go to games when you're winning.
• Any significance to your first name? I think I was named after the TV show "Spencer for Hire."
Last week: Hurley helped Greensburg Central Catholic -- ranked No. 2 in Class A in the Pennsylvania Volleyball Coaches Association poll -- place second in the West Shamokin tournament on Saturday. The Centurions lost to No. 1 Clarion in the final.
Check this out: Hurley, a senior outside hitter, is one of the top players in the WPIAL. Hurley has quickly bounced back after missing her junior season with a torn ACL in her left knee. She was a first-team WPIAL Class A All-Star as a freshman and sophomore. Hurley has committed to Division 1 Winthrop. Her brother, Trent, was a star football player at Greensburg Central Catholic and is now the starting quarterback at Delaware.
• What was it like sitting out last season? It was horrible.
• Do players argue with officials? Not really. Sometimes when there's a bad call, I get mad and my coaches tell me to shut up. (Laughs).
• Who is the best player in the WPIAL? Can I say myself?
• Sure you can. Well, I think I am.
• Who is the biggest jokester on the team? (Sophomore) Megan Stunja.
• How many pairs of shoes do you own? Not that many. Probably about eight. I hate shopping.
• One thing you're scared of? Spiders.
• What treats will your family be handing out for Halloween? Probably a bag of chips, Capri Sun, and maybe Oreos or Twix's.
• If you could see anyone in concert, who would it be? I really want to see We the Kings.
• What fast food restaurant has the best french fries? Wendy's.
• Most people would be surprised to know that ... I really get along with my brothers.
First Published October 19, 2012 12:00 am