Robert Morris wins in final minute
Share with others:
Jeff Sinclair found Nick Groat for a 2-yard touchdown late in the fourth quarter to help rally visiting Robert Morris past Sacred Heart, 21-17, for a Northeast Conference victory Saturday.
Trailing, 17-6, in the fourth quarter, Sinclair found D.J. Pearson for a 4-yard touchdown to cut Robert Morris' (4-6, 3-4) deficit to 17-14. Sinclair finished 11 of 25 passing for 145 yards and two touchdowns.
Sacred Heart (2-8, 1-6) looked to lock up the victory when it intercepted Sinclair for the fourth time with 4:24 remaining, but Sinclair responded on Robert Morris' next drive.
After forcing Sacred Heart to punt with 2:57 left, Sinclair capped off an eight-play, 82-yard drive, finding Groat for the winning touchdown with 35 seconds remaining.
• Albany 38, Duquesne 31: Four players recorded rushing touchdowns as Albany (8-2, 6-2) picked up a road NEC victory against Duquesne (5-5, 3-4). Albany's Drew Smith led all rushers with 144 yards and one touchdown.
Dukes quarterback Sean Patterson thew for 286 yards, 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.
• Case Western Reserve 36, Carnegie Mellon 24: Carnegie Mellon receiver Tim Kikta set the school record for receiving yards in a season, but the Tartans (6-4, 1-2 University Athletic Conference) fell on the road to conference foe Case Western Reserve (6-4, 2-1). Billy Beecher ran for three touchdowns and 68 yards for the Spartans.
• Bloomsburg 49, Slippery Rock 41: Despite outgaining Bloomsburg (10-1, 6-1 PSAC East) by more than 100 total yards, Slippery Rock (6-5, 5-2 PSAC West) fell to the No. 12 Huskies at home. Bloomsburg's Franklyn Quiteh ran for 183 yards and four touchdowns.
• California 56, Millersville 28: Mike Williams caught three touchdowns as the Vulcans (8-3, 5-2) cruised to a home PSAC West victory against Millersville (2-9, 1-6). Williams caught nine passes for 156 yards.
• Washington & Jefferson 31, Waynesburg 14: Washington & Jefferson's Matt Bliss threw for 251 yards and four touchdowns to help win the Presidents' Athletic Conference title on the road against Waynesburg (9-1, 7-1). The title is the first for the Presidents (8-2, 7-1) since 2007.
• Glenville State 58, Seton Hill 2: Rahmann Lee ran for 301 yards and five touchdowns for Glenville State (6-5, 6-2 WVIAC) in a runaway win at home against Seton Hill (0-11, 0-8 WVIAC). The Griffins' score came on a 98-yard PAT return by Johnathon Feagin.
First Published November 11, 2012 12:00 am