Duquesne football extends win streak to 4
Share with others:
Duquesne rallied in the fourth quarter at home with a touchdown run, a 2-point conversion pass and a 20-yard field goal by Charlie Leventry to beat Saint Francis, 24-21, Saturday in a Northeast Conference game at Rooney Field.
Leventry's 20-yard field goal with 36 seconds left lifted the Dukes (4-1, 2-0) to their fourth win in a row. It was his third field goal of the game.
On an individual note, running back Larry McCoy rushed for 122 yards to surpass the 4,000-yard milestone for his career. He also scored two touchdowns.
Saint Francis fell to 2-3, 1-1 in the league.
• Robert Morris 31, Lafayette 28: Greg Langer kicked a 33-yard field goal with 2:04 remaining to break a 28-28 tie and give host Robert Morris its first win after three losses. Lafayette had come back from a 28-7 second-quarter deficit to tie it midway through the fourth. Quarterback Jeff Sinclair passed for 201 yards and ran for 94 for the Colonials.
• Geneva 50, Thomas More 48: Rocco Colavecchia scored his fourth touchdown of the day and Zack Hayward rushed for the decisive 2-point conversion as Geneva (1-3, 1-1 PAC) outlasted visiting Thomas More in four overtimes -- the longest game in Geneva history. Geneva trailed, 28-15, entering the fourth quarter before rallying on two Colavecchia TD runs. Hayward completed 32 of 49 passes for 298 yards
• IUP 41, Millersville 7: Pat Brewer and Harvie Tuck scored two touchdowns apiece as host IUP (4-1) rolled. Brewer's two touchdowns included a 92-yard kickoff return to open the second half.
• West Chester 37, California 34: Shawn Leo kicked a 43-yard field goal to put West Chester (4-1) ahead with 7:28 remaining and Rondell White scored on a 1-yard run four minutes later for a 37-27 lead, then the hosts held on to upset California (4-1). Peter Lalich completed 29 of 47 passes for 342 yards and three touchdowns for the Vulcans, including two to Trey Johnson. Johnson finished with 11 receptions for 120 yards.
• Wabash 54, Carnegie Mellon 28: Wabash erased a 21-7 lead by visiting Carnegie Mellon (4-1) as Wabash quarterback Chase Balton passed for four touchdowns and rushed for three. CMU's Patrick Blanks ran for 157 yards to move into eighth place on the school's career rushing list with 1,745.
• Glenville State 17, West Liberty 14: Darold Hughes passed for 175 yards and two touchdowns to lead visiting Glenville State in a West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Association game.
• Grove City 23, Westminster 21: Grove City quarterback Brian Pell connected with Anthony Ritchie on a 5-yard touchdown pass with 18 seconds to play to spoil homecoming for Westminster (2-2, 1-1 PAC). Grove City improves to 3-2, 2-1.
• Waynesburg 20, Thiel 19: Presidents' Athletic Conference-leader Waynesburg got a 15-yard touchdown pass from Carter Hill to Bernie Thompson with 6:58 to play to avert the upset. Thiel (1-4, 1-2) had gone ahead, 19-14, when quarterback Andrew Smith scored on a 12-yard run.
First Published September 30, 2012 12:00 am