District football roundup: Saint Francis stifles Robert Morris, 10-3
Share with others:
Despite giving up 133 yards rushing to Robert Morris' Evan Taylor, Saint Francis managed to keep the Colonials out of the end zone in a 10-3 Northeast Conference victory at Loretto, Pa.
Saint Francis (3-3, 2-1) struck first with a 50-yard pass from John Kelly to Anthony Abeid.
Robert Morris (1-4, 0-2) responded with a 44-yard field goal from Greg Langer. The Red Flash then added three more on a 33-yard field goal from Josh Thiel as time expired in the first half.
Kelly went 9 for 19 passing for 190 yards while Keion Wade contributed 95 yards on the ground for Saint Francis.
• Mercyhurst 19, Lock Haven 10: Allen Jones II ran for 111 yards and a touchdown to lead host Mercyhurst (5-1, 3-0 PSAC West) past Lock Haven (0-6, 0-3 PSAC West). The Bald Eagles were within three after scoring with just more than 10 minutes left in the fourth, but gave up a 15-play, 70-yard drive that ended with a 3-yard Mercyhurst touchdown pass from Anthony Vandemia to Jeff Groene to put the game away.
• Thiel 14, Saint Vincent 7: A 5-yard touchdown pass from Andrew Smith to Zane Garza with five seconds remaining in the first half proved to be the difference in the game, as neither team was able to score in the second half. Saint Vincent (0-5, 0-3 PAC) struck first with a 37-yard touchdown pass from Matt Deakins to Ryan Crawford on its opening drive. Visiting Thiel (2-4, 2-2 PAC) responded with 31-yard interception return for a touchdown by Ethan Ludwig to tie the score before scoring the go-ahead touchdown.
• Carnegie Mellon 41, Denison 21: Running back Patrick Blanks ran for 157 yards and three touchdowns as Carnegie Mellon (5-1) built on an early 13-0 lead to defeat Denison at home (2-3) in a non-conference matchup.
• Bethany 42, Geneva 36: Bethany (1-4, 1-2 PAC) won a wild, back-and-forth contest that ended with a winning 24-yard pass from Matt Grimard to Ed Holmes in overtime. After Bethany scored to take a 36-29 lead, Geneva (1-4, 1-2 PAC) scored on a 41-yard pass from Zack Hayward to Rocco Colavecchia as time expired to force overtime for the Golden Tornadoes' third consecutive game. Grimard finished with 343 yards and four touchdowns as the host Bison picked up their first win of the season.
• IUP 33, Slippery Rock 16: IUP (5-1, 2-1 PSAC West) ran for 388 yards, including 240 from Harvie Tuck and 158 from De'Antwan Williams, against visiting Slippery Rock (2-4 1-2 PSAC West) to keep pace with undefeated California and Mercyhurst in the PSAC West.
• Thomas More 54, Washington & Jefferson 18: Thomas More (2-3, 2-2 PAC) accumulated 606 yards of offense, led by two long touchdowns of 81 and 95 yards, respectively, by running back Adam Rauch as the Saints cruised past Washington & Jefferson (4-2, 3-1 PAC) at home. Rauch finished with 181 yards and three touchdowns on the ground. The Saints got 237 passing yards and three touchdowns from quarterback Jensen Gebhardt.
• California 41, Clarion 22: California (5-1, 3-0 PSAC West) scored the first 28 points of the game, and despite being outgained by Clarion (3-3, 1-2 PSAC West), was able to move past the Golden Eagles and remain atop the conference standings with a road win. California's Peter Lalich went 21 for 29 with 368 yards passing and three touchdowns while running back Lamont Smith contributed 79 yards and two touchdowns on the ground.
• Charleston 30, Seton Hill 13: University of Charleston running back Jordan Roberts ran for 205 yards and three touchdowns as the Golden Eagles (5-1, 3-1 WVIAC) held host Seton Hill (0-6, 0-4 WVIAC) to 46 yards rushing.
First Published October 7, 2012 12:00 am