California outlasts IUP, 26-24
Share with others:
Cody Nuzzo got redemption and California University got a big victory Saturday in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference West Division.
After not converting an extra point moments earlier that prevented the Vulcans from tying the score against IUP, Nuzzo made a 30-yard field goal with three seconds left for a victory. This enabled California (4-0, 2-0) to escape with a 26-24 triumph against the Crimson Hawks (3-1, 1-1) in a showdown between Division II-ranked teams.
IUP, ranked 14th, led, 24-17, with 6:58 left when Pat Brewer scored on an 8-yard pass from Mike Box.
The No. 6 Vulcans rallied when Nadir Brown caught an 80-yard touchdown pass from Peter Lalich with 52 seconds left. Nuzzo failed to make the extra point as IUP led, 24-23.
A Nuzzo onside kick was recovered by California at the IUP 44 with 51 seconds left. Lalich drove the Vulcans deep into Crimson Hawks territory, capped by Trey Johnson's 20-yard reception to the 13. That set up Nuzzo's heroics.
• Duquesne 35, Bryant 21: Larry McCoy rushed for two fourth-quarter touchdowns as the Dukes (3-1, 1-0) rallied from a 21-17 deficit in a Northeast Conference opener in Smithfield, R.I. McCoy finished with 154 yards rushing. Dukes quarterback Sean Patterson completed 22 of 36 passes for 247 yards and two touchdowns.
• Edinboro 35, Lock Haven 19: Cody Harris passed for 280 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for two to lead the Fighting Scots (1-2, 1-1) to victory in a PSAC West game at Lock Haven (0-4, 0-2).
• Carnegie Mellon 51, DePauw 28: Rob Kalkstein passed for 314 yards and three touchdowns to lead the unbeaten Tartans (4-0) to a home victory against DePauw. Zachary Erra-Hernandez rushed for 116 yards and three touchdowns for CMU, which led at halftime, 37-7.
• Allegheny 20, Wabash 17: Ryan Mong's 26-yard field goal in overtime gave the Gators (2-1) a non-conference victory in Crawfordsville, Ind. Tyler Smith's 9-yard touchdown run with 1:53 left in regulation sent the game to overtime.
• Grove City 44, Bethany 40: The host Wolverines (2-2, 1-1) rallied from a huge deficit to upend Presidents' Athletic Conference rival Bethany (0-3, 0-1). The Bison led, 14-0, after one quarter and 40-24 after three. Shane Kaclik scored on two, 1-yard, fourth-quarter touchdown runs for Grove City, which also got a 1-yard scoring jaunt from Brian Pell as the Wolverines finished with a 20-0 run. Kaclik amassed 121 yards rushing and five touchdowns.
• Mercyhurst 38, Slippery Rock 23: The Lakers (3-1, 2-0) jumped to a 21-0 first-quarter lead en route to a resounding PSAC West victory against The Rock (2-2, 1-1) in Erie. Brandon Brown-Dukes led Mercyhurst with 160 yards rushing and two touchdowns.
• Washington & Jefferson 17, Thiel 0: Dion Wiegand led W&J with 88 yards rushing and a touchdown in a PAC contest at Greenville, Pa.
• West Virginia Wesleyan 41, Seton Hill 17: The Griffins (0-4, 0-2) fell to the Bobcats in Buckhannon, W.Va., in a West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference game. Nate Montana passed for 413 yards and four touchdowns for West Virginia Wesleyan (1-3, 1-1).
• Fairmont State 25, West Liberty 20: The Hilltoppers were unable to overcome a 19-0 deficit at Fairmont, W.Va.
First Published September 23, 2012 12:08 am