Beans and Hops: News about coffee and beer
Share with others:
Aldo Coffee, Mt. Lebanon, is now serving single-origin coffees from Stumptown Roasters in Portland, Ore. Single-origins can be brewed on press-pots, Abid Clever Coffee Drippers, one-cup Hario V60 pour overs or 4-cup Chemexes; www. aldocoffee.com.
Meanwhile, 21st Street Coffee, Strip District and Downtown, will soon start carrying coffees from Ecco, Intelligentsia's sister company based in Santa Rosa, Calif.; 21streetcoffee.com.
Tazza D'Oro, Highland Park and Oakland, will be brewing this season's harvest of the famed Panama Esmeralda starting Thursday. They are now holding a public cupping every Wednesday at 3:30 p.m at the Highland Park shop; www.tazzadoro.net.
-- China Millman
ANOTHER WAY TO DRINK COFFEE
"If Starbucks Made Beer" is the title for tonight's weekly free tasting at 3 Sons Dogs and Suds beer store, Pine, www.3sonsdogsandsuds.com, 724-940-7667.
From 6 to 8 p.m., they'll be pouring:
• Otter Creek Brewing's (Middlebury, Vt.) Wolaver's Alta Gracia Coffee Porter. Part of the brewery's Organic Farmer Series, it's brewed with organic roasted barley and chocolate malts with an infusion of organic vanilla beans and coffee from the Dominican Republic nonprofit farm Alta Gracia.
• Peak Organic Brewing's (Portland, Maine) Espresso Amber. Brewed with locally roasted, organic fair trade espresso, making it the first fair trade-certified American beer.
• Ithaca (N.Y.) Beer Co. Eleven. An anniversary brew with roasted Sumatra beans.
• Dogfish Head (Lewes, Del.) Chicory Stout. Made with a touch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John's Wort, and licorice root.
• Terrapin Beer Co. (Athens, Ga.) Wake 'N' Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial, and
• Troegs Brewing Co. (Harrisburg) Java Head Stout, described as made by passing the hot wort through a blend of locally roasted espresso and Kenyan coffee beans and hops in a hopback vessel that "is similar to using a huge French press."
-- Bob Batz Jr.
First Published January 21, 2010 12:00 am