Share with others:
Regarding new metering on Frew Street at Carnegie Mellon University:
1. Parked the car.
2. Read new meter box instructions.
3. Shared parking cost with friend, four quarters each.
4. Read instructions again.
5. Inserted eight quarters.
6. Hit the "next" or "continue" (forgot what it is called) button.
7. The modern, new machine showed only six quarters inserted.
8. Couldn't find meter man.
9, Called the Pittsburgh parking help desk for assistance (412-927-1101).
10. Told he could not do anything about getting my $2 back or giving me credit.
11. Suggested I go to class, return just before meter expires and insert more money.
I'm not a speed runner. I'm a sweet little ol' lady who's been ripped off! I want my $2 back because it is mine, not the machine's and not the Pittsburgh Parking Authority's. God, I miss those broken, old-fashioned meters. They either worked or they didn't work. They didn't promise you anything. Just feed them and they will give you your just rewards ... time.
RUTH STONE LASDAY
First Published October 18, 2012 12:00 am