Share with others:
• Latrobe Area Hospital Aid Society is sponsoring a "Handbag Blowout" sale from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 20 and 21 in the Little Shop corridor, on the first floor of Excela Latrobe Hospital. Call 724-689-0206.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring "Holiday Stress Busters" at 6 p.m. Dec. 20 at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, Frazer. Speakers are Megan Klucinec and Larry Heath. Registration is required, and space is limited to 30. Call 724-274-5202.
• The Southwestern Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross is holding a CPR/AED class for professional rescuers and health care providers from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 20 at its Downtown headquarters, 225 Blvd. of the Allies. The cost is $110. Call 1-888-733-2767.
• Excela Health is holding a "Childbirth and Beyond" class from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Dec. 22 in auditorium A and B on the first floor of Latrobe Hospital. Call 1-877-771-1234.
• Excela Health is offering the following seven-week classes at Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Call 1-877-771-1234.
-- Low Impact Aerobics, 4:30 p.m. Mondays beginning Jan. 7. Deadline: today.
-- Basic Yoga, for people who have participated in yoga before 5:30 p.m. Thursdays beginning Jan. 10. Deadline: Dec. 20.
• To find a blood drive near you call:
-- The Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
-- The American Red Cross, 1-800-448-3543. For bloodmobile locations, check http://www.redcrosslife.org.
• Self Help Group Network, a service of PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.
• The Nightingale Awards of Pennsylvania foundation is offering scholarship funds for nursing students to be awarded in March. Applicants must reside in Pennsylvania, be admitted to a nursing school in the state, maintain a B average, have completed or are enrolled in at least one nursing course and not have previously received a foundation scholarship. The deadline is Jan. 31. To apply, visit www.nightingaleawards.org/scholarships.htm. For more information, call 717-909-0350.
• The Allegheny County Health Department is sponsoring its 14th annual environmental poster contest for students in grades 6-8. The theme is "Pollution Prevention Starts with You." The deadline for entries is March 15. Winners will be announced and honored in conjunction with Earth Day celebrations in April, and they will receive environmental-themed prizes. For additional information, visit the Health Department's environmental poster contest website at http://www.achd.net/air/postercontest.html or call 412-578-8028.
-- Compiled by Rick Nowlin
First Published December 17, 2012 12:00 am