Health Happenings: week of Oct. 15
Share with others:
• UPMC McKeesport, UPMC Health Plan and the McKeesport Hospital Foundation are sponsoring a free flu-shot clinic from noon to 3 p.m. and 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the North Versailles Senior Center, 1401 Greensburg Ave. Donations to the township's EMS department are being accepted. Call 412-823-6602.
• VA Butler Healthcare is sponsoring the following flu clinics and health fairs for veterans. Call 724-996-8784.
-- Butler Township, 2 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Auditorium, building 1, VA Butler Healthcare, 325 New Castle Road.
-- Rochester Borough, 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, VFW Post No. 128, 179 Virginia Ave.
• The PriorityCare program of Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring a flu and pneumonia shot clinic from 9 to 11 a.m. Thursday at the Alle-Kiski Senior Center, 1039 Third Ave., New Kensington. The cost is $25 for the flu vaccine, free for those with Medicare cards, and $75 for the pneumonia vaccine, payable by check or cash only. Call 724-335-8597.
• West Penn Allegheny Health System is sponsoring "Dance in My Shoes," a celebration of breast cancer survivorship, from 5 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Magovern Conference Center of Allegheny General Hospital, North Side. To be included is "Dance With the Doctors," during which six WPAHS oncology physicians are to perform special dance routines with current and former patients. An hour of open dancing follows. The program is open to anyone who has been treated for breast cancer within West Penn Allegheny Health System plus one guest. Reservations: 412-330-4469.
? Excela Health is hosting a women's breast and bone health workshop at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Norwin Community Resource Center, 231 Jennie Drive, North Huntingdon, in recognition of Breast Health Awareness Month. The event includes a heel bone scan screening and cooking demonstration along with the keynote addresses. Information, registration: 1-877-771-1234.
? The Pittsburgh Psychoanalytic Center is sponsoring "Use of Play in Psychodynamic Treatment of Children Under Five," a seminar for mental health professionals, educators and those working with children, 7 to 9 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, 3811 O'Hara St., Oakland. Presenters are Alexandra Harrison and Susan Sherkow. Continuing education credits and Act 48 hours are available. Information: 412-661-4224.
• Presbyterian SeniorCare Oakmont, 1215 Hulton Road, is presenting "Caregiver at Work: Juggling Family & Work Responsibilities" at 11:30 a.m. Oct. 24 in the Westminster Place Dining Room. Speaker is Jennifer Antkowiak. Registration is at 11 a.m. Lunch is being served. Registration is required by Oct. 22. Call 412-826-6104.
• The West Penn Allegheny Health System is sponsoring "An Evening with Michael Beschloss" at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 23 at George J. Magovern, MD, Conference Center of Allegheny General Hospital for AGH's annual Cardiovascular Institute Speaker Series. He will discuss "Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life With John F. Kennedy," a book he co-authored with Caroline Kennedy. A dessert reception follows at 8:30 p.m. The cost is $75, and proceeds benefit the Institute. Information: 412-359-5110.
• Pittsburgh East Relay for Life is the beneficiary of a "Monsters Are Cool, Cancer Is Not" fundraiser, during which patrons of the course are invited to contribute at least $1 through the month of October at Monster Mini Golf, 3813 William Penn Highway, Monroeville. Call 412-856-6604 or 412-512-0533.
• Longwood at Oakmont, 500 Coxcomb Hill Road, Plum, is sponsoring "Save Your Brain" at 6 p.m. Tuesday. Presenter is Paul Nussbaum, an author and internationally renowned expert in neuroanatomy. Space is limited. To register, call 1-877-214-8410.
• The Allegheny Valley Hospital Trust is hosting an estate planning seminar at 5:15 p.m. Oct. 23 at the Pittsburgh Field Club, 121 Fox Chapel Road, Fox Chapel. Featured speaker is Scott Keffer, a financial educator and author. Space is limited. Call 724-226-7178.
• UPMC St. Margaret is presenting "Acupuncture: An Alternative Medicine for Pain and Rehabilitation" from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 24 at the Cooper-Siegel Community Library, 403 Fox Chapel Road, Fox Chapel. Presenter is Tamia Patterson of UPMC Rehabilitation Institute at UPMC St. Margaret. Light refreshments are being served. Reservations are required by Oct. 18. For more information, call 1-866-939-7787.
• The Consumer Health Coalition is sponsoring "Make the Most of Your Medical Appointments" from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 16 at the Kaufmann Center, second floor conference room, Hill House, 1825 Centre Ave., Hill District. Lunch is being provided. To participate, call 412-456-1877 ext. 200.
• Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh UPMC is sponsoring the following classes. Registration is required. Call 412-692-7105.
-- "Discipline Doesn't Have to Hurt," 7 to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 17, UPMC South, Bethel Park. Cost: $5.
-- CPR: Infant, Child and Teen, 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 20, UPMC South. Cost: $30.
-- Babysitting 101, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 20, Pine Center. Cost: $35.
-- "Avoid Power Struggles with Your Kids," 10 to 11:30 a.m. Oct. 22, Pine Center. Cost: $5.
-- "Tech Smart 4 Kids: Internet Safety," 7 to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 23, Pine Center. Free.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources, in conjunction with the Valley Health and Safety Training Center, is sponsoring an infant and child CPR class 6 p.m. Oct. 17 at its Healthy Directions health resource center, Finleyville Giant Eagle, 3701 Brownsville Road, Union. The cost is $40; advance registration is required. Call 724-348-6699.
• The Southwestern Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross is sponsoring the following safety classes. Call 1-888-733-2767.
-- CPR/AED for professional rescuers and health care providers, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 18, Downtown headquarters, 225 Blvd. of the Allies, Downtown. Cost: $110.
-- Adult CPR/AED, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Oct. 18, Armstrong County office, suite 4. 245 Butler Road, West Kittanning; and 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Oct. 19, Downtown. Cost: $70.
-- Adult and pediatric first aid/CPR/AED, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 18, Armstrong County office. Cost: $110.
-- Adult and pediatric CPR/AED, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 19, Downtown. Cost: $90.
• Excela Health is sponsoring a Breastfeeding Success class from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Oct. 20 in the Memorial Conference Center, on the ground floor of Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Call 1-877-771-1234.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring a Safe Sitter babysitting course for children ages 11-13 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 20 and 1 to 5 p.m. Oct. 21 at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. CPR instruction is also included. The cost is $50 per student, and space is limited to six. To register, call 724-274-5202.
• Self Help Group Network, a service PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.
-- Compiled by Rick Nowlin
First Published October 15, 2012 12:00 am