Share with others:
• Excela Health Home Care and Hospice, the Pennsylvania chapter of the National Association of Social Workers and the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, 150 Finoli Drive, Hempfield, are sponsoring a bereavement conference focusing on children and adolescents from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. March 21 in Village Hall on the UPG campus. The cost is $30; $35 for members of NASW, including four continuing education credits and registered nurses; and free to Pitt students. Registration is requested by March 13. Call 724-689-1800.
• The Parent Education & Advocacy Leadership Center, Jewish Family & Children's Service, the Agency for Jewish Learning, Friendship Circle, Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh and Jewish Residential Services are sponsoring "Achieving Meaningful Participation through Inclusion," a conference for those with special needs and their family members, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 20 at Rodef Shalom Congregation, 4915 Fifth Ave., Oakland. The conference cost is $35 before March 11 and $45 afterward and includes a continental breakfast and lunch. A limited number of parent scholarships may also be available. Call 412-422-7200.
• Latrobe Area Hospital Aid Society will hold book fairs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 6 at Excela Health's Corporate Services Center, 134 Industrial Park Road, Hempfield; and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 13 and 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 14 in the Little Shop corridor at Latrobe Hospital. Call 724-689-0206.
• Relay for Life Mt. Lebanon is sponsoring "Lights! Camera! Murder!" at 7 p.m. March 9 at the Hollywood Theater, 1449 Potomac Ave., Dormont. The cost is $15 in advance and $20 at the door. Call 412-563-0368.
• Mainstay Live Services is holding a Comedy for a Cause fundraiser at 8 p.m. March 9 at Cefalo's Banquet Center, 428 Washington Ave., Carnegie. The cost is $25 for general admission and $50 for VIP section. Call 412-344-3640.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring a bone density screening from 1 to 3 p.m. March 6 at its Healthy Directions health resource center, Finleyville Giant Eagle, 3701 Brownsville Road, Union. No appointments necessary. For more information, call 724-348-6699.
• Excela Health is offering a complimentary 33-panel blood test to firefighters, police officers and emergency rescue providers in Westmoreland County from 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. March 9 at Excela Square at Norwin, 8775 Norwin Ave., North Huntingdon. A 12-hour fast is recommended. Pre-registration for the blood screening is required. Participants should indicate affiliation when registering. Family and friends of first responders may also receive tests for $45. A light breakfast is being offered. Call 1-877-771-1234.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring "The ABCs of Statins: About, Benefits, Concerns" from 2 to 3 p.m. March 5 at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Speaker will be Jane Holmes, a pharmacist from Allegheny Valley Hospital. Space is limited to 30. To register, call 724-274-5202.
• Family Hospice and Asbury Heights is presenting the following educational sessions on dementia from 6 to 8 p.m. at Asbury Heights, 700 Bower Hill Road, Mt. Lebanon. Presenter is Teepa Snow. Participants may attend one or both sessions. Reservations are requested. Call 412-571-5663
-- "Typical Progression of Dementia -- What You Can Do To Help," March 5.
-- "Building Hands-On Caregiving Skills for Persons with Dementia," including a presentation on caregiver training, March 6.
• KidneySmart is holding classes on kidney function from 2 to 4 p.m. March 7 and every first Thursday of the month through June in the conference room at Northside Dialysis, 930 Madison Ave. To register, call 412-770-7210.
• The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh, 1405 Shady Ave., Squirrel Hill, is holding "Feeding a Child with Autism: A Results-Driven Seminar" from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 9. The cost is $30 and space is limited to 125. To register, call at 412-420- 2487.
• St. Clair Hospital, Mt. Lebanon, is sponsoring a discussion on colorectal cancer from noon to 4 p.m. March 9 in its Dunlap Conference Center, on the hospital's fourth floor. Topics include epidemiology and prevention, preparation for colonoscopy, screening, surgery, and other disease detected by colonoscopy. For more information, call 412-942-3970 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring "Innovations in Ankle Arthritis and Surgery" at 6 p.m. March 11 in its Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver as part of MVH's "Innovations in Medicine" series. Speaker is William T. DeCarbo. To register, call 724-258-1333.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring the following classes at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle. To register, call 724-274-5202 unless indicated.
-- Highmark Osteoporosis Prevention & Education, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays from March 5 to 26. Cost: $100, free to Highmark members. Space limited to 20.
-- Baby Care Basics, 6 to 9 p.m. March 6. Cost: $50 per couple. Call 412-578-7271. Space limited to 20.
-- Highmark Eat Well for Life I series, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays from March 7 to 28. Cost: $65, free to Highmark members. Space limited to 20.
-- Heartsaver first aid with CPR/AED, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. March 9. Cost: $35 for one, $50 for both. Space limited to eight.
-- Heartsaver CPR/AED, 1 to 4 p.m. March 9. Cost: $35. Space limited to eight.
• Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh/UPMC is sponsoring the following classes at its various satellite centers. Registration is required. Call 412-692-7105.
-- Alone at Home, 7 to 8:30 p.m. March 6, Pine Center. Cost: $10 per family.
-- The Happiest Baby on the Block, 7 to 8:30 p.m. March 7, UPMC South, Bethel Park. Cost: $35 per couple.
-- CPR: Infant, Child and Teen, 9 a.m. to noon March 9, UPMC South. Cost: $30.
-- Babysitting 101, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 9, Family Care Connection, 5235 Butler St., Lawrenceville. Cost: $35.
-- Sibling Rivalry, 7 to 8:30 p.m. March 11, UPMC East, Monroeville. Cost: $5.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring a childbirth preparation class from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays from March 6 to 27 at its Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver. To register, call 724-258-2229 ext. 25.
• The ParentWISE Program of Family Services of Western Pennslvania, 211 Huff Ave., South Greensburg, is sponsoring "The Incredible Family" parenting series from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursdays from March 7 to June 6. Dinner is being served at 5:30 p.m. For more information, call 724-837-5410 ext. 705.
• Excela Health is sponsoring the following classes at Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg, unless otherwise indicated. Call 1-877-771-1234.
-- Breastfeeding Success, 7 to 9:30 p.m. March 7, conference room D, first floor; or 9 to 11:30 a.m. March 9, Memorial Conference Center, ground floor.
-- Friends and Family infant/child CPR, 6 to 9 p.m. March 12, auditorium A/B, first floor, Latrobe Hospital.
• The Collier Parks and Recreation Department is sponsoring classes in tai chi from 10 to 11 a.m. Thursdays from March 7 to April 11 in the community room of the municipal building, 2418 Hilltop Road. The cost is $60, $54 for residents. Information, call 412-279-2525.
• To find a blood drive near you call:
-- The Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
-- The American Red Cross, 1-800-448-3543. For bloodmobile locations, check http://www.redcrosslife.org.
• Self Help Group Network, a service of PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.
First Published March 4, 2013 12:00 am