Share with others:
• Excela Health is sponsoring town hall meetings on the Affordable Care Act at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 19 in the Campana Chapel on the Greensburg campus of the University of Pittsburgh, 150 Finoli Drive, Hempfield; and Feb. 20 in the Performing Arts Center, Robert S. Carey Student Center, Saint Vincent College, 300 Fraser Purchase Road, Unity. Speaker is Kent Bottles, who teaches health policy at The Thomas Jefferson School of Population Health in Philadelphia. Call 724-689-0206.
• The Pittsburgh AIDS Task Force and the FAITH Initiative is holding testing for HIV from noon to 3 p.m. Feb. 16 at the Christian Church of Wilkinsburg, 748 Wallace Ave. Free food is being provided. Call 412-345-0585.
• To find a blood drive near you call:
-- The Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
-- The American Red Cross, 1-800-448-3543. For bloodmobile locations, check http://www.redcrosslife.org.
• The Aquinas Guild of St. Scholastica Catholic Parish, 309 Brilliant Ave., Aspinwall, is hosting "Breaking the Myth of Hospice" at 10:30 a.m. Feb. 12. Speakers are Nancy Gannon, a hospice volunteer for more than 25 years; and Meghan Anderson, community liaison with Family Hospice and Palliative Care. Call 412-767-5863.
• The Center for Pharmacy Services of Duquesne University will present a discussion titled "Take Control of Your Health -- Know Your Numbers" at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 13 in Hilltop Hall at The Village at St. Barnabas, 5850 Meridian Road, Richland, as part of St. Barnabas' monthly Doc's Talk series. Following the presentation, free health screenings are being offered to check cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure levels. Call 724-444-7231.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring "Innovations in Sports Medicine" at 6 p.m. Feb. 18 in the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll, as part of its ongoing Innovations in Medicine series. Speaker is Jose Ramirez-Del Toro. To register, call 724-258-1333.
• The PriorityCare program of Allegheny Valley Hospital, Harrison, is sponsoring "Keep Circulating: Understanding and Treating PAD," a program on peripheral artery disease, at 6 p.m. Feb. 19 in its Charles W. Young Conference Center. Speaker is interventional cardiologist Rajiv Swamy. For reservations: 724-226-7339.
• Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh/UPMC is sponsoring the following classes. Registration is required. Call 412-692-7105.
-- "Sibling Rivalry," 7 to 8:30 p.m. today, Pine Center. Cost: $5.
-- CPR: Infant, Child and Teen, 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 16, Children's North satellite center, Franklin Park. Cost: $30.
• The Southwestern Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross is sponsoring the following safety classes at its Downtown headquarters, 225 Blvd. of the Allies. Call 1-888-733-2767.
-- Adult CPR/AED, 8 to 11 a.m. Feb. 12 or 16. Cost: $70.
-- Adult CPR/AED with pediatric CPR, 8 to 11:30 a.m. Feb. 12. Cost: $90.
-- Adult and pediatric first aid/CPR/AED, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Feb. 12. Cost: $110.
-- CPR/AED for professional rescuers and health care providers, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 14. Cost: $110.
-- Adult first aid/CPR/AED, 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Feb. 16. Cost: $90.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring the following classes at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer.
-- Birth Basics, 6:30 to 9 p.m. Feb. 13. Cost: $30 per couple. Call 412-578-7271. Space limited to 20.
-- Heartsaver First Aid CPR/AED, 5 to 8 p.m. Feb. 19 and 20. Cost: $35 for one part, $50 for both. Call 724-274-5202. Space limited to eight.
• Excela Health is sponsoring the following classes in the Memorial Conference Center, on the ground floor of Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Call 1-877-771-1234.
-- "Lamaze, It's Not All About Breathing," 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 16.
-- Infant Care, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Feb. 19 and 26. Participants should bring a doll for practice.
• Penn State Extension is sponsoring the following food preparation classes.
-- ServSafe training course, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 21 and 28, Beaver County extension office, Suite 3, 1000 Third St., Beaver. Cost: $175, deadline Feb. 15. ServSafe exam given at 1 p.m. Feb. 28. For more information: 1-814-849-7361. To register: 1-814-776-5331.
-- "Cooking for Crowds: A Volunteer's Guide to Safe Food Handling," 6 to 9 p.m. Feb. 28, Westmoreland County extension office, 214 Donohoe Road, Hempfield. Cost: $11, deadline Feb. 22. Call 724-837-1402.
• Self Help Group Network, a service of PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.
• A multiple sclerosis support group meeting is taking place from 2 to 4 p.m. Feb. 14 at Panera Bread, Southland Shopping Center, 623 Clairton Blvd., Pleasant Hills. Information: 412-461-1837.
• The Pennsylvania Medical Society Alliance, in conjunction with the Foundation of the Pennsylvania Medical Society, is offering multiple $2,500 scholarships to Pennsylvania residents attending an accredited Pennsylvania medical school full-time as a second- or third-year student. In addition to completing an application, candidates must submit two reference letters, verification of medical school enrollment on school letterhead and an essay describing the applicant's vision for the future of Pennsylvania medicine. Applications must be postmarked by Feb. 28. For an application: 1-717-558-7852.
First Published February 11, 2013 12:00 am