Share with others:
• Students enrolled in the Excela Health School of Anesthesia is promoting "Family First Aid -- An Ounce of Prevention" from 10 a.m. to noon and 6 to 7 p.m. today through Jan. 25 in the JCPenney Court, on the lower level of Westmoreland Mall, off Lincoln Highway, Hempfield, in recognition of National Nurse Anesthetists Week. In addition, school representatives are to be on site from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Jan. 26. Call 724-689-0206.
• Flu shots are available to the public and the campus community at Duquesne University's Center for Pharmacy Care. While appointments are preferred, walk-ins are accepted. A limited stock of specialty vaccines is available, including preservative-free flu vaccine for pregnant women, high-dose for seniors and others at high risk, and intradermal. Hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday (except for today) at the Center for Pharmacy Care (Muldoon Building), 1000 Fifth Ave., across from CONSOL Energy Center. Cost: $20, with cash, credit card or check. Call 412-396-2155 for appointments.
• The PriorityCare program of Allegheny Valley Hospital, Harrison, is presenting "Treatment of Common Spine Problems" at 6 p.m. today in the Charles W. Young Conference Center, rooms 4 C&D. Speaker is Michael P. Casey, physician. To register, call 724-226-7339.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring "Innovations in Managing Thyroid Cancer" at 6 p.m. Jan. 28 in its Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver, as part of its Innovations in Medicine series. To register, call 724-258-1333.
• The Southwestern Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross is sponsoring the following safety classes at its Downtown headquarters except where indicated. Call 1-888-733-2767.
-- Adult CPR/AED, 8 to 11 a.m. or 6 to 9 p.m. Jan. 23 or 8 to 11 a.m. Jan. 29, Downtown; or 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Jan. 26, Lawrence County office, 222 N. Mercer St., New Castle. Cost: $70.
-- Adult first aid/CPR/AED, 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Jan. 23. Cost: $90.
-- Babysitter's Training, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jan. 26. Cost: $85.
-- Adult and pediatric first aid/CPR/AED, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jan. 26, Lawrence County office. Cost: $110.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring the following classes on Jan. 26 at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Space is limited to eight. To register, call 724-274-5202.
-- Heartsaver first aid with CPR/AED, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Cost: $35 for one, $50 for both.
-- Heartsaver CPR/AED, 1 to 4 p.m. Cost: $35.
• UPMC St. Margaret, in cooperation with the American Cancer Society, the National Cosmetology Association and the Personal Care Products Council Foundation, is offering "Look Good ... Feel Better," a cosmetology workshop for women cancer patients, from 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 28 in the conference center, first floor. Pre-registration is required. To register: 1-800-227-2345.
• Excela Health, in cooperation with the American Cancer Society, the National Cosmetology Association and the Personal Care Products Council Foundation, is offering "Look Good ... Feel Better," a cosmetology workshop for women cancer patients, from 1 to 3 p.m. Jan. 28 in conference rooms B and C on the first floor of Frick Hospital, Mount Pleasant Borough. Call 1-877-771-1234.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring a breastfeeding class from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Jan. 28 at its Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver. Partners and grandmothers are welcome and encouraged to attend. For more information, call 724-258-2229, ext. 25.
• The ParentWISE program of Family Services of Western Pennsylvania is sponsoring the following sections of the parenting series "The Incredible Family" from 6 to 8 p.m. Dinner is being served at 5:30 p.m. Call 724-837-5410 ext. 705.
-- East Huntingdon, Tuesdays from Jan. 29 to May 7, Ruffsdale Elementary School, Mount Pleasant Road (Route 31).
-- Jeannette, Thursdays from Jan. 31 to May 9, Seton Hill Child Services, Jeannette Early Care & Education Center, Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 320 N. Seventh St.
• Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC is sponsoring "Happiest Baby on the Block" from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Jan. 29 at UPMC South, Bethel Park. The cost is $35 per couple. Call 412-692-7105.
• Excela Health is sponsoring its monthly Mall Walkers program at 8:30 a.m. Jan. 24 at Westmoreland Mall, off Lincoln Highway, Hempfield. Participants are to hear from an Excela Health exercise and wellness specialist, a representative of the American Red Cross who is promoting January as Blood Donor Month, and a recent bariatric surgery patient. Call 1-877-771-1234.
• The Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh, 5738 Forbes Ave., Squirrel Hill, is sponsoring an Every Body Day from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 27. Included are exercise demonstrations, consultations with a dietitian, chair massages, children's activities and more. Gift cards are available for those who join. Call 412-521-8010.
• The Penn Hills YMCA, 11817 Frankstown Road, is sponsoring the following classes. Call 412-795-2600.
-- Drop 10 in 10, 1:30 to 2:30 or 6 to 7 p.m. Thursdays beginning Jan. 24. Cost: $85.
-- Eat Well for Life, four weeks, 1 to 2:30 p.m. or 6:30 to 8 p.m. Mondays beginning Jan. 28. Cost: $50, free for Highmark members.
• Aerobics Plus is sponsoring seven weeks of low-impact aerobics and toning classes at 6:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays beginning Jan. 24 at Monroeville United Methodist Church, 219 Center Road. The cost is $55 for all 15 sessions or $5 per class. Two can sign up for $5 off apiece. Call 724-468-4830.
• To find a blood drive call:
-- Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
-- The American Red Cross, 1-800-448-3543. For bloodmobile locations, check http://www.redcrosslife.org.
• Self Help Group Network, a service of PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.
• The Autism Society of Pittsburgh will hold a parent support group and discussion at 7 p.m. Jan. 28 at the Monroeville Public Library, 400 Gateway Campus Blvd. The topic is "Sensory Integration" with speaker Pamela Long, director of the NHS Autism School, Sewickley Township, Westmoreland County. Call 412-856-7223.
• The medical staff at Allegheny Valley Hospital is offering two $2,500 medical scholarship grants to students enrolled in an approved American medical or osteopathic school. Eligible applicants must be residents of Allegheny, Armstrong, Butler or Westmoreland counties and have not received a prior grant. A letter must be submitted to request scholarship consideration, explaining why he or she should be awarded the grant. In addition, applicants are required to have a letter sent from their educational institution stating they are in good standing. The deadline is March 1. Call 724-226-7007.
First Published January 21, 2013 12:00 am