Share with others:
• HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Sewickley, 303 Camp Meeting Road, Leet, is sponsoring a Blast from the Past Cruisers Car Cruise from noon to 4 p.m. Sept. 30 in celebration of National Rehab Week. Included are oldies tunes, food, vendors, prizes, giveaways and more. A ticket auction is being held to benefit the Parkinson's Foundation. Call 412-741-9500.
• The American Diabetes Association is sponsoring a "Step Out Walk to Stop Diabetes" at 9 a.m. Oct. 6 at Highmark Stadium, Station Square. To register: www.diabetes.org/pittsburghstepout or call 1-888-342-2383 or 412-824-1181.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring a Multiphasic Blood Analysis Screening from 7 to 10 a.m. Sept. 29 at the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. Registration is required by Sept. 26. On each blood sample, 36 individual tests can be performed for $25, with additional screenings available for additional cost. A 12-hour fasting period is required prior to testing. Call 724-258-1282 between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring "Natural Ways to Lower Cholesterol" from 2 to 3 p.m. Sept. 25 at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Speaker is Dom Battaglia, registered dietitian at Allegheny Valley Hospital. Space limited to 30. To register, call 724-274-5202.
• The Village at St. Barnabas, 5850 Meridian Road, Richland, is sponsoring "Tips for Preventing Falls" at 1:30 p.m. Sept. 25 in Hilltop Hall as part of its monthly Doc's Talk series. Speaker is Laura Pierce, occupational therapist with St. Barnabas Rehabilitation and Home Care. Information: 724-443-7231.
• The Washington Hospital's Wilfred R. Cameron Wellness Center, 240 Wellness Way, South Strabane, is hosting a program on sleep apnea awareness at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 25. Speaker is dentist Michael F. Hnat. To register or for information on oral sleep appliance therapy, call 724-942-5630.
• The Heart Center at Excela Health is sponsoring "A Healthy Taste of Westmoreland," including continental breakfast, blood pressure screenings, door prize drawings, and educational, health-related presentations at 8:30 a.m. Sept. 27 at Westmoreland Mall, off Lincoln Highway, Hempfield. This is part of its Mall Walkers program, held the fourth Thursday of each month. Doors open at 8 a.m. Call 1-877-771-1234.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring "Innovations in Treating Neck Pain" at 6 p.m. Sept. 27 in the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. Information or to register: 724-258-1333.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring the following classes at Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll.
-- First aid, 6 p.m. Sept. 27, Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center. Cost: $30, registration required. Call 724-684-9536. Sponsored in conjunction with the Valley Health and Safety Training Center.
-- Smoking cessation, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays from Oct. 4-25, Primary Care Resource Center, fourth floor. Cost: $20, free for PCRC patients, MVH employees and anyone with a referral from an MVH-affiliated primary care physician. Registration required by Sept. 30; space limited. Call 724-258-1932.
• The Allegheny County Health Department is sponsoring a food protection certification course from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 2 and 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 9 at the Bridgeville Volunteer Fire Department, 317 Commercial St. The cost is $75, $60 for those who live or work in the county. Call 412-687-2243 or 412-578-8044.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring the following classes from 5 to 8 p.m. at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Space limited to 8. To register, call 724-274-5202.
-- Heartsaver first aid with CPR/AED, Oct. 2-3. Cost: $35 for one, $50 for both.
-- Heartsaver CPR/AED, Oct. 3. Cost: $35.
• To find a blood drive near you call:
--The Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
--The American Red Cross, 1-800-448-3543. For bloodmobile locations, check http://www.redcrosslife.org.
• Self Help Group Network, a service PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.
• Penn State Extension-Westmoreland County is sponsoring two mini-grant programs for school or community groups that work on a program to prevent tobacco use, to promote tobacco-free local sports programs, promote smoke free playgrounds or encourage tobacco users to quit. Groups are encouraged to apply for a $100 mini-grant to be offered for Red Ribbon Week, Oct. 23-31, deadline Oct. 1; or the Great American Smokeout, Nov. 15, deadline Nov. 1. For more information, call 724-837-1402.
First Published September 24, 2012 12:00 am