Share with others:
• Cranberry Cinemas will host a fundraiser for the Children's Craniofacial Association on Wednesday and Thursday. The cinemas will show the award-winning documentary "Torey's Distraction," about a girl who undergoes a procedure to correct a facial abnormality, at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 19. Then, at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 20, the theater will show the 1985 film "Mask," starring Cher, Eric Stoltz and Sam Elliott, which was based on the real-life story of Rocky Dennis, who was born with enlargement of his facial bones. Tickets cost $10, and all proceeds will go to the craniofacial association, which provides advocacy and support services for children born with facial abnormalities. The cinemas are at 20111 Route 19 in Cranberry; 724-772-3180.
• The Mon Valley YMCA, 101 Taylor Run Road, Carroll, is holding a Zumbathon from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Friday. Donation is $10. Proceeds benefit the American Heart Association. Call 724-483-8077.
• The Spina Bifida Association of Western Pennsylvania is hosting a pancake breakfast from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday at Cranberry Community United Presbyterian Church, 2662 Rochester Road. The cost is $7 per person. Proceeds benefit SBAWP FireFly Camps and Retreats for individuals with disabilities. Call 724-934-9600.
• UPMC Eye Center Team is sponsoring its annual Pittsburgh VisionWalk at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at South Side Riverfront Park, South 18th Street and Riverfront Park. Registration begins at 9 a.m. To register, call 1-847-680-0100 ext. 25.
• The annual Elorapalooza 5K/1 Mile Run/Walk or Lollygag is taking place at 9 a.m. Sunday in North Park. Registration begins at 8 a.m. The cost is $17; $12 for ages 6-13; free for those under age 6. Race shirts are available at an additional charge. Also available are silent and ticket auctions. Wheelchair participants are to start at 8:45 a.m. Proceeds benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Elora's HOPE Foundation Scholarship Fund. Call 412-608-2135.
• Family Hospice and Palliative Care is holding its Annual Memorial Walk at 10 a.m. Sunday, at the North Shore Riverfront Park. Registration and pre-walk festivities begin at 9 a.m. The $25 Memorial Walk registration fee includes a Walk T-shirt. Children 12 and under walk free; and children's T-shirts may be purchased for $10. Pets on a leash are welcome. To register, call 412-572-8812.
• The Cancer Caring Center is holding a Walk at the Waterfront at 10 a.m. Sunday. The basic charge is $25, with prizes for additional fundraising. Registration begins at 9 a.m. Call 412-622-1212.
• Excela Health is presenting a prostate blood screening at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Norwin Community Resource Center, Jennie Drive, North Huntingdon. A presentation by urologist Norman Gebrosky follows at 8:15 a.m. Registration is required. Call 1-877-771-1234.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring a car seat safety check from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at its Healthy Directions health resource center, Finleyville Giant Eagle, 3701 Brownsville Road, Union. To register, call 724-348-6699.
• To find a blood drive near you call:
-The Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
-The American Red Cross, 1-800-448-3543. For bloodmobile locations, check www.redcrosslife.org.
• The PriorityCare program of Allegheny Valley Hospital, 1301 Carlisle Ave., Harrison, in conjunction with APPRISE and Family Services of Western Pennsylvania, is offering "Medicare: An Overview" from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesday in its Charles W. Young Conference Center. Reservations are required. Call 724-226-7339.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring a Lookalike-Drug Awareness Day from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday at its Healthy Directions health resource center, Finleyville Giant Eagle, 3701 Brownsville Road, Union. For more information, call 724-348-6699.
• The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is presenting "An Update on Blood Cancers" at 7 p.m. Sept. 25 in the Otterbein Room of Christ United Methodist Church, 45 Highland Road, Bethel Park, as part of a "Meet the Doctor" series. Speaker is Diane Buchbarker. To register, call 1-800-726-2763 ext. 2882.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring the following classes at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer.
- Prenatal Breastfeeding, 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday. Cost: $35 per couple, space limited to 20. To register, call 412-578-7271.
- Joslin Diabetes Center's Self-Management Education 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday and Sept. 27. Fees payable by insurance. Call 724-367-2400. Space limited to 20.
- Heartsaver First Aid with CPR/AED, two-part course, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Satuday. Cost: $35 for one, $50 for both. Call 724-274-5202. Space limited to eight.
• Excela Health is sponsoring the following classes. Call 1-877-771-1234.
- Smoking cessation, six weeks, 5 p.m. Thursdays beginning Sept. 20, Frick Hospital, Mount Pleasant Borough.
- Childbirth and Beyond, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sept. 22, auditorium A and B, First Floor, Latrobe Hospital; or 7 to 9:30 p.m. from Sept. 24 to Oct. 8, Memorial Conference Center, ground floor, Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg.
- Car Seat Safety, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Sept. 25, Memorial Conference Center.
- Ornish Spectrum seven-week nutrition program, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays beginning Oct. 2, First Floor Lunchroom, Corporate Services Center, 134 Industrial Park Road, Hempfield. Deadline: Sept. 20.
- Eat Well For Life II, four weeks, 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays beginning Oct. 11, Latrobe Hospital. Deadline: Sept. 27.
• UPMC St. Margaret, in conjunction with the American Cancer Society, is sponsoring "Look Good ... Feel Better," a cosmetology workshop for women cancer patients, from 10 a.m. to noon Sept. 24 in the hospital's conference center. Pre-registration is required. Call 1-800-227-2345.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring the following classes.
- Breastfeeding, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Sept. 24, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, Rostraver. To register, call 724-258-2229, ext. 25.
- Adult cardiopulmonary resuscitation, 6 to 9 p.m. Sept. 25, Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center, Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. Cost: $40. Call 724-684-9536. Offered in conjunction with Valley Health and Safety Training Center.
• The Carnegie Performing Arts Center, third floor, 1150 E. Main St., is holding Zumba classes from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays beginning Sept. 20. The cost is $12 to drop in or monthly rate of $10 per class. Call 412-279-8887.
• Self Help Group Network, a service of PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.
-Compiled by Rick Nowlin
First Published September 14, 2012 12:00 am