Health events: Week of 6/25/12
Share with others:
• The Great Rivers affiliate of the American Heart Association will hold a rally in Market Square from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday to give women tips on how to reduce the risk of heart disease. There will be free screenings for heart and blood pressure, exercise demonstrations, "heart healthy" recipes and other nutritional information in addition to music and entertainment.
• A car wash is planned for today and Tuesday at Blind and Vision Rehabilitation Services of Pittsburgh, 1800 West St., Homestead. Clients in the BVRS Employment Transition program will be washing vehicles between 10 a.m. and noon and 1 and 2 p.m. in the rear parking area. The cost is $5 per car and $7 for vans/SUVs, with profits used to help individuals learn skills that lead to independence. For more information, call 412-368-4400. Clients will participate in a program that provides filled backpacks for underprivileged children. The job transition program is one of several employment services offered by BVRS.
• Excela Health is sponsoring a program on the nutritional content of packaged items at 8:30 a.m. Thursday at Westmoreland Mall, off Lincoln Highway, Hempfield, during its Mall Walkers event. Speaker will be Dawn Davoli, nutrition consultant for Excela Health. Call 1-877-771-1234.
• Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring the following classes at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. To register, call 724-274-5202.
-- Highmark's Drop 10 in 10, 2 to 3 p.m. Thursdays from June 28 to Aug. 30. Cost: $101, $18 toolkit fee for Highmark subscribers. Space limited to 30.
-- Safe Sitter baby-sitting course, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday. Cost: $50 per student. Space limited to six.
• Monongahela Valley Hospital, in cooperation with the Valley Health & Safety Training Center, is sponsoring the following safety classes from 6 to 9 p.m. The cost is $40 for each class, and advance registration is required. Call 724-684-9536.
-- Adult CPR, Tuesday.
-- Infant and child CPR, Thursday.
--?Compiled by Rick Nowlin
First Published June 25, 2012 12:00 am