Health events: March 11, 2013
Share with others:
• The Coalition for Leadership, Education, and Advocacy for Recovery is sponsoring a breakfast address by Christopher Kennedy Lawford, author and nephew of the late President John F. Kennedy, at 8 a.m. March 13 at the Pittsburgh Athletic Association, 4215 Fifth Ave., Oakland. Tickets cost $35. For reservations, call 412-281-8362.
• The Pittsburgh Pyschoanalytic Center is sponsoring "Toward an American Independent Tradition" from 7 to 9 p.m. March 15 at the Bigelow Confererence Center, 4338 Bigelow Blvd., Oakland. Presenter is Nancy J. Chodorow, geographic regional supervising analyst for the PPC. The cost is $35, $50 for those desiring continuing education credits and $15 for students. Call 412-661-4224.
• The auxiliary of Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring a Gene and Boots Candies Sale from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 14 and 15 in the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center at Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. For more information, call 724-258-1167.
• Longwood at Oakmont, 500 Coxcomb Hill Road, Plum, is sponsoring a seminar on retirement housing at 1 p.m. March 12. Speaker is Rick Hunsicker, founder and president of Hunsicker Senior Living Services. Call 1-877-214-8410.
• VA Butler Healthcare, 325 New Castle Road, is sponsoring a "Nutrition Kitchen" healthy cooking demonstration from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. March 13 in the auditorium in recognition of National Nutrition Month and Registered Dietitian Day. Call 724-996-8784.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring the following programs on March 13 at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Space is limited to 30. To register, call 724-274-5202.
- "Crohn's Disease Awareness Program," 2 p.m.
- "New Treatments in Diabetes," 6:30 p.m. Speaker: endocrinologist Kamala Rajupet from the Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate at Allegheny Valley Hospital.
• Canonsburg General Hospital is sponsoring "Secrets to Healthy Aging" from 6 to 7:30 p.m. March 13 in the Community Room at its Outpatient Care Center, 160 Gallery Drive, Peters. Speaker is Richard Passwater Jr. For reservations, call 724-942-5800.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring the following basic life support classes for health care professionals at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Classes includes required student manual. To register, call 724-274-5202.
- CPR renewal, 5 to 9 p.m. March 18. Cost: $30 per student. Space limited to eight.
- Initial CPR, 5 to 10 p.m. March 19. Cost: $50 per student.
• Excela Health is sponsoring an Infant Care class from 7 to 9:30 p.m. March 19 and 26, in the Memorial Conference Center, on the ground floor of Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg.
• The Allegheny County Health Department is sponsoring a food protection certification course from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 18 and 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 25 at St. Valentine's Catholic Church, 2710 Ohio St., Bethel Park. The cost is $75, $60 for those who live or work in the county. Call 412-687-2243 or 412-578-8044.
• The Monroeville Recreation and Parks Department is sponsoring the following fitness classes at Moss Side Middle School, 9000 Gateway Campus Blvd. Classes run for six weeks from 6:45 to 8:30 p.m. and cost $42 unless indicated. Call 412-856-1006.
- Zumba toning, eight weeks, 7 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays beginning March 13. Cost: $50.
- Tai chi, Thursdays beginning March 14.
- Single movement tai chi, Fridays beginning March 15.
• Excela Health is sponsoring the following six-week yoga classes on Thursdays beginning March 14 in the Memorial Conference Center, on the ground floor of Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Call 1-877-771-1234.
- Basic Yoga, 5:30 p.m.
- Gentle Yoga, 6:30 p.m.
• Self Help Group Network, a service of PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.
• The Pittsburgh North Restless Legs Syndrome Support Group is meeting from 6:15 to 7:45 p.m. March 12 at the Alle-Kiski Medical Center's Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. The topic is "Caring and Sharing: Coping Tips for RLS Fighters and Their Families." To register, call 724-274-5202.
• Juniper Village at Forest Hills, 107 Fall Run Road, is holding a caregiver support group meeting at 1:30 p.m. March 13. For reservations, call 412-244-9901.
• The Salute to Senior Service program, sponsored by Home Instead Inc., is accepting nominations through March 31 for outstanding volunteers 65 and older who give at least 15 hours a month of volunteer service to their favorite causes. State winners then are to be selected by popular vote at SalutetoSeniorService.com. Online voting takes place from April 15 to April 30; from those state winners, a panel of senior care experts pick the national Salute to Senior Service honoree. $500 is to be donated to each of the state winners' favorite nonprofit organizations and their stories posted on the Salute to Senior Service Wall of Fame. In addition, $5,000 is to be donated to the national winner's nonprofit charity of choice. For more information, call 412-646-1257.
• To find a blood drive near you call:
- The Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
- The American Red Cross, 1-800-448-3543. For bloodmobile locations, check http://www.redcrosslife.org.
First Published March 11, 2013 11:57 am